AERALIS - Modular Jet Trainer

Contains threads on equipment developed by the UK defence and aerospace industry, but not in service with the British Armed Forces.
TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Re: AERALIS - Modular Jet Trainer

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Defiance wrote:Sounds a bit too good to be true. You do have to wonder how much rigour is behind their design if they can make these sorts of claims this early in the lifecycle.
The rigour comes form their development processes and how they will model the development lifecycle as building blocks versus the traditional approach of treating each product as a bespoke product with its own replicated unique lifecycle for development and treating it product as a unique "work of art" with all of the associated costs.

AERALIS is predicating their approach on the greater use of automation of design based on rule based modelling, automation of testing and modular manufacturing techniques and modular certification lifecycles and "standardised" interfaces.

Aerospace is going "agile" and that the approach that AERALIS is taking - it is a mind shift for a lot of people - but if you have worked in software for any time, you would be familiar with the concept. I am excited by the approach that AERALIS is taking and i have my fingers crossed for them.

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

TheLoneRanger wrote:The rigour comes form their development processes and how they will model the development lifecycle as building blocks versus the traditional approach of treating each product as a bespoke product with its own replicated unique lifecycle for development.

It is predicated on the greater use of automation of design based on rule based modelling, automation of testing and modular building techniques.

Sounds like a bunch of PR rubbish to me. Aeralis has between 11-50 employees - if you assume they have the usual functions like business development, commerical groups, HR etc they probably have only a handful of actual engineers doing any work. There are dozens of specialities around aircraft design.

Nowhere near enough to have confidence in nearly all of the design possibilities they espouse.

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Defiance wrote:
TheLoneRanger wrote:The rigour comes form their development processes and how they will model the development lifecycle as building blocks versus the traditional approach of treating each product as a bespoke product with its own replicated unique lifecycle for development.

It is predicated on the greater use of automation of design based on rule based modelling, automation of testing and modular building techniques.

Sounds like a bunch of PR rubbish to me. Aeralis has between 11-50 employees - if you assume they have the usual functions like business development, commerical groups, HR etc they probably have only a handful of actual engineers doing any work. There are dozens of specialities around aircraft design.

Nowhere near enough to have confidence in nearly all of the design possibilities they espouse.
It comes down to getting the funding to prove their new approach - that is different of course different to where they are now. That is where investors will come in with the risk of funding AERALIS versus the reward if their approach pays off.

Look at Tesla - new upstart from nothing to where they are now - they predicated their organisation on a different approach and it seems to working fairly well for them. They needed money and funding to get where they are now.

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

TheLoneRanger wrote:It comes down to getting the funding to prove their new approach - that is different of course different to where they are now. That is where investors will come in with the risk of funding AERALIS versus the reward if their approach pays off.

Look at Tesla - new upstart from nothing to where they are now - they predicated their organisation on a different approach and it seems to working fairly well for them. They needed money and funding to get where they are now.
Admirable sentiment but you can't just point at Tesla and say the approach works. History is littered with companies who tried something different and went bust. It's all about the execution of the approach which Aeralis has yet to demonstrate they are capable of doing above and beyond the wider industry.

Right now we've seen a lot of material from their business people, I suspect most here are well aware of how business people will over-promise and under-deliver. When they start making technological progress then I might be a bit more confident but even that isn't a guarantee (look at REL).

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

UK aerospace start-up Aeralis has received a boost in its efforts to develop a new jet training aircraft after signing an investment agreement with an unnamed Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund.

Announcing the agreement on September 16 at the DSEI exhibition and conference in London, UK, the company revealed the initial investment totalled £10.5m (US$14.4m), which will support the design, development and first flight of its Advanced Jet Trainer platform.
https://www.airinternational.com/articl ... alis-start

Still small potatoes (presumably small, modular agile potatoes.....) However Aeralis seem to getting somewhere at least.

The graveyard of "low cost, light combat/trainer aircraft" startups is pretty well populated....

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

10 mill to design and develop through to first flight. Should give them Tempest :D

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Mystery 'Mid-East investment fund' is Qatari...

UK aerospace start-up Aeralis has received a boost in its efforts to develop a new jet training aircraft after signing an investment agreement with an unnamed Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund.
Announcing the agreement on September 16 at the DSEI exhibition and conference in London, UK, the company revealed the initial investment totalled £10.5m (US$14.4m), which will support the design, development and first flight of its Advanced Jet Trainer platform.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Must be a tax write off :lol:

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://www.joint-forces.com/defence-eq ... co-support

Press Release, Bristol, 11 April 2022: Pioneering military aerospace company AERALIS has today announced that it has received significant further investment from the Royal Air Force’s Rapid Capabilities Office (RCO) in line with the wider PYRAMID programme.

In February of 2021 AERALIS agreed a three-year contract with the Royal Air Force’s RCO for research and development into a new modular approach to the design and development of future aircraft. With the first phase successfully completed, AERALIS is delighted to announce Phase 2 of the programme that will provide a route to exploit the potential of PYRAMID, the Ministry of Defence’s open mission system architecture.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post (total 5):
RepulseTheLoneRangerThe Armchair SoldierJensyArmChairCivvy

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Excellent progress - steady and sure footed. I am so looking forward to AERALIS being a success and the start of UK original weapon systems. We will be upping our defence spending and hoping that UK companies pickup most of that to build industrial capability in the UK.

Market efficiency has to sit alongside local military capability - and i hope that lesson has been learnt from what is happenning in Ukraine right now.

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Been a busy week or so for Aeralis

Full press release for the above: https://aeralis.com/2022/04/11/aeralis- ... es-office/

Construction of two full scale replicas (which were exhibited in Doha at DIMDEX 2022): https://aeralis.com/2022/03/21/emir-of- ... mdex-2022/

Some full-resolution versions of those snazzy new infographics:

Of note are:

- Specific reference to active modularity and the switching of modules with the "Common Core Fuselage", rather being assigned roles at manufacturing level

- The reappearance of "uncrewed" variants, with roles including "Loyal Wingman, Tanker or ISTAR"

- First appearance (at least to my eyes) of what appears to be a folding wing variant, outfitted with a refuelling pod (bottom right on second infographic).

Even More recently: In yesterday's Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... t-trainer/
Aeralis, the British-designed jet fighter that could replace the RAF’s ageing fleet of Hawk trainers, has won the backing of Rolls-Royce and Martin Baker as it gears up to make a demonstrator version.

The company is looking to capitalise on tight defence budgets and ageing fleets of trainer aircraft to sell adaptable jets that can be upgraded and modified.

The programme recently won investment from the Royal Air Force’s Rapid Capabilities Office to test its system to allow electronic components to be swapped in and out and upgraded without the aircraft needing a costly recertification by regulators.

Aeralis has estimated there is a market for up to 5,500 of its jets, which could be worth £150bn.

Rolls-Royce has agreed to supply its Adour jet engines for the plane, while Martin Baker will provide ejector seats.

It will also work with Hamble Aerostructures, which was a supplier to BAE Systems for the Hawk and before that worked on the 1960s-era Folland Gnat jet trainer.
Still a long way to go. However I daresay, as a project, it has gone further than many might have speculated.
These users liked the author Jensy for the post:
TheLoneRanger

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Jensy wrote: 19 Apr 2022, 16:45 Been a busy week or so for Aeralis

Full press release for the above: https://aeralis.com/2022/04/11/aeralis- ... es-office/

Construction of two full scale replicas (which were exhibited in Doha at DIMDEX 2022): https://aeralis.com/2022/03/21/emir-of- ... mdex-2022/

Some full-resolution versions of those snazzy new infographics:

Of note are:

- Specific reference to active modularity and the switching of modules with the "Common Core Fuselage", rather being assigned roles at manufacturing level

- The reappearance of "uncrewed" variants, with roles including "Loyal Wingman, Tanker or ISTAR"

- First appearance (at least to my eyes) of what appears to be a folding wing variant, outfitted with a refuelling pod (bottom right on second infographic).

Even More recently: In yesterday's Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... t-trainer/
Aeralis, the British-designed jet fighter that could replace the RAF’s ageing fleet of Hawk trainers, has won the backing of Rolls-Royce and Martin Baker as it gears up to make a demonstrator version.

The company is looking to capitalise on tight defence budgets and ageing fleets of trainer aircraft to sell adaptable jets that can be upgraded and modified.

The programme recently won investment from the Royal Air Force’s Rapid Capabilities Office to test its system to allow electronic components to be swapped in and out and upgraded without the aircraft needing a costly recertification by regulators.

Aeralis has estimated there is a market for up to 5,500 of its jets, which could be worth £150bn.

Rolls-Royce has agreed to supply its Adour jet engines for the plane, while Martin Baker will provide ejector seats.

It will also work with Hamble Aerostructures, which was a supplier to BAE Systems for the Hawk and before that worked on the 1960s-era Folland Gnat jet trainer.
Still a long way to go. However I daresay, as a project, it has gone further than many might have speculated.
Are you sure that’s a folding wing, just looks like a set of winglets to me?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

They're modular wings, not folding wings. They said you can swap in/out low speed straight wings or faster speed swept back wings. One plane that does multiple roles.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

At what point have they "won backing" from RR and MB? They've just agreed to provide OTS seats and engines...

I like the idea. But how you manage the certification and baseline of such an aircraft with multiple configurations is something for MOD and the MAA to address, not industry. And I have little faith in them.

Their digital-twin is something that is talked about throughout industry at the moment. It's a good engineering practice, but much like the CAD hype of 20 years ago, there'll always be a need for physical test.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

If “won” backing isn’t just pr talk it would mean at the point both Martin baker and RR commit engineering resource for the integration and certification of the products into the design.

At this point I would be looking at certification through caa/easa to civil type certification would be easier specifically if there looking at exports and the military aren’t committing to an order at present.

If it’s factory configuration options it’s not that different to what goes on with airliners you get a number of different fuselage length, fuel tank, engine and wing options on a a320 series airliner.
You certify the different configurations as add ons to the main type certification.

In Field options maybe for “later”.

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

SW1 wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 13:11 Are you sure that’s a folding wing, just looks like a set of winglets to me?
Sure? Not in the slightest.

However I'm pretty certain it's showing a different, and possibly larger, wing than those seen before.

To my eyes it has a bend or fold in it though that could well be a shadow. An aircraft of the same configuration is shown in the previous graphic (blended winglets, refueling pod, conventional tail etc.) seemingly with a greater span than the others.

In the past Aeralis have stated that they had three further wing shapes under design in addition to the basic and advanced subsonic shapes already proposed (and posted upthread).

RunningStrong wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 15:07 At what point have they "won backing" from RR and MB? They've just agreed to provide OTS seats and engines...
It's the Telegraph. Not the paper it was, which isn't exactly saying much.... Would have been happier to have posted it from nearly any other source. Even then it's probably lifted directly from an approved press release.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

Jensy wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 18:04 It's the Telegraph. Not the paper it was, which isn't exactly saying much.... Would have been happier to have posted it from nearly any other source. Even then it's probably lifted directly from an approved press release.
I'm pretty sure it's the AERALIS spin machine. Their team seems to have more BD and Marketing people than engineers.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Jensy wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 18:04
SW1 wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 13:11 Are you sure that’s a folding wing, just looks like a set of winglets to me?
Sure? Not in the slightest.

However I'm pretty certain it's showing a different, and possibly larger, wing than those seen before.

To my eyes it has a bend or fold in it though that could well be a shadow. An aircraft of the same configuration is shown in the previous graphic (blended winglets, refueling pod, conventional tail etc.) seemingly with a greater span than the others.

In the past Aeralis have stated that they had three further wing shapes under design in addition to the basic and advanced subsonic shapes already proposed (and posted upthread).

RunningStrong wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 15:07 At what point have they "won backing" from RR and MB? They've just agreed to provide OTS seats and engines...
It's the Telegraph. Not the paper it was, which isn't exactly saying much.... Would have been happier to have posted it from nearly any other source. Even then it's probably lifted directly from an approved press release.
Might be a higher aspect ratio wing but to me just looks like a shadow where the “interchangeable” outbid wing attaches to the inbd centre wing/fuse structure.

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

SW1 wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 20:01 Might be a higher aspect ratio wing but to me just looks like a shadow where the “interchangeable” outbid wing attaches to the inbd centre wing/fuse structure.
Looking at it today, I think you might be right.

Seems to match the physical mock-up from DSEI:

SW1

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Little bit of money coming in..

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

With Hawk having engine issues at the moment I can't blame them for pushing this...probably get some extra MoD cash out of desperation...

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I don't think the contract with AirTanker has anything to do withe their aircraft concept.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

https://aeralis.com/2023/03/14/aeralis- ... shinmaywa/

Innovative British Military fast-jet company AERALIS has today announced a partnership with Japanese aircraft manufacturers, ShinMaywa.

Signed at DSEI Japan, the two companies will work together to establish best practice in the implementation of Digital Engineering processes for aircraft design and manufacturing. Best known for the US-2 Flying Boat produced for Japan’s Maritime Self Defence Force, ShinMaywa has extensive aerostructures experience and is looking at the potential of introducing full Digital Engineering processes.

Initial work is scheduled to start this month (March 2023), and will seek to establish how Digital Engineering can enhance ShinMaywa’s aircraft and AeroSystems business. Experts from each company will be embedded in the process to support a free and open exchange of knowledge.

This partnership follows on from the UK Ministry of Defence’s (MOD) December 2022 announcement of a £9 million contract with AERALIS, that also seeks to learn from their pioneering approach to digital aircraft design, engineering and manufacturing.

In December 2022 the MOD also announced a collaboration between the two nations, confirming they will work together on the Global Combat Air Programme, bringing together their respective expertise on next generation fighter jet technology.

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

SW1 wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 12:00 https://aeralis.com/2023/03/14/aeralis- ... shinmaywa/

Innovative British Military fast-jet company AERALIS has today announced a partnership with Japanese aircraft manufacturers, ShinMaywa.

Signed at DSEI Japan, the two companies will work together to establish best practice in the implementation of Digital Engineering processes for aircraft design and manufacturing. Best known for the US-2 Flying Boat produced for Japan’s Maritime Self Defence Force, ShinMaywa has extensive aerostructures experience and is looking at the potential of introducing full Digital Engineering processes.

Initial work is scheduled to start this month (March 2023), and will seek to establish how Digital Engineering can enhance ShinMaywa’s aircraft and AeroSystems business. Experts from each company will be embedded in the process to support a free and open exchange of knowledge.

This partnership follows on from the UK Ministry of Defence’s (MOD) December 2022 announcement of a £9 million contract with AERALIS, that also seeks to learn from their pioneering approach to digital aircraft design, engineering and manufacturing.

In December 2022 the MOD also announced a collaboration between the two nations, confirming they will work together on the Global Combat Air Programme, bringing together their respective expertise on next generation fighter jet technology.
Excellent news, continuing their strategy of collaboration and programme support.

Sadly I doubt we're going to see a flying boat version of the Aeralis platform any time soon! :D
Caribbean