Ireland's air policing security failure and how the British system keeps their skies safe

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Ireland's air policing security failure and how the British system keeps their skies safe

Post by TheLoneRanger »

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-air-p ... 3-May2023/

>> Not sure how true it is - but as a UK tax payer i would object to the UK policing Irish airspace for Ireland.

SD67
United Kingdom

Re: Ireland's air policing security failure and how the British system keeps their skies safe

Post by SD67 »

As an Irish Citizen - albeit a mere plastic Paddy - I think it's well time for ROI to pull her weight. I understand all the historical baggage but seriously the Russian Navy was directly harassing Irish fishermen, there are T95s probing Irish airspace.
Now Sweden is a NATO member maybe there is an opportunity for our Swedish friends to "adopt" ROI air defence - take half a dozen Gripen out of storage, start the training etc. "Defensive but Competent"

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Re: Ireland's air policing security failure and how the British system keeps their skies safe

Post by Repulse »

It would be great for Ireland to step up, but probably the best answer remains to be part of an integrated UK/ROI air defence capability.
These users liked the author Repulse for the post:
Djpowell1984
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Repulse wrote: 17 May 2023, 19:44 It would be great for Ireland to step up, but probably the best answer remains to be part of an integrated UK/ROI air defence capability.
In reality, they don't need to. For reasons I don't quite understand, the RAF provides the service F.O.C, so why would Ireland put it's hand in its pocket when the UK tax payer is funding Irish QRA?

It's not unreasonable for Eire to pay for services rendered, it would still be vastly cheaper than buying and operating a small number of Gripens.

SD67
United Kingdom

Post by SD67 »

The problem is no Irish politician will admit publicly that any such agreement exists, so we are "living in sin" so to speak. I really don't like the current arrangement and it feels like it is only a matter of time before something goes wrong.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Sinn Fein is demanding answers.

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/irish-mi ... y-12879084

My own POV is it’s a bit rich considering that they have been a independent nation since 1922 with the grief they contributed to in regards to the NI protocol

Maybe it’s time to go to Brussels and see what they will do
These users liked the author R686 for the post (total 2):
wargame_insomniacTheLoneRanger

jedibeeftrix

Post by jedibeeftrix »

TheLoneRanger wrote: 17 May 2023, 18:23 https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-air-p ... 3-May2023/

>> Not sure how true it is - but as a UK tax payer i would object to the UK policing Irish airspace for Ireland.
is this really news?

this was being talked about 12 years ago.
These users liked the author jedibeeftrix for the post:
new guy

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

The IAC are now getting new C-295 MPA's to replace there C235's maybe a better bet as far as a simple fast jet goes could be FA-50 lets face it they would take a handover from Tiffs and then hand back over to Tiffs they could get 12 for say 500 million Euro

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

TheLoneRanger wrote: 17 May 2023, 18:23Tag

STAFF NOTICE:
Topic moved into General Discussion as the RAF section is for equipment.