Australian Defence Force

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
Mercator
Australia

Re: Australian Defence Force

Post by Mercator »

Still proceeding, though slightly late. The seventh was funded in the budget, so the rumours that they would stop at six were misplaced. Looks like everything proceeding until the next review..

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Mercator wrote: 05 May 2023, 14:12 I'll come back to the previous couple of posts tomorrow, if I can. In the meantime, here's an interesting development in the OPV upguning saga:

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... fura-opvs/

Sometimes I wonder are we in what Churchill called the “the Locust Years” when the UK should have been more proactive in kiting out for what became the fight of their lives WWII
Churchill called 1934 and 1935 "The Locust Years" because time which should have been spent preparing to face Germany was fruitlessly eaten up.

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Mercator wrote: 17 May 2023, 08:43
Replacement stock for the stuff to Ukraine

or the cynical me being they think it can replace land 400 AFV
These users liked the author R686 for the post:
Mercator

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

These users liked the author Mercator for the post (total 4):
Caribbeanwargame_insomniacTheLoneRangerswoop

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Mercator wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 23:00

Interesting if it happens

Wonder what has to be stripped out what mods need to happen

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

But wait, there's more!

Hawkei armoured cars bound for Ukraine war in Australian support deal
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5de5a.html

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

9 Squadron will reform in 92 Wing Surveillance and Response Group. The headquarters will be located at RAAF Base Edinburgh and most Triton operations will occur from RAAF Base Tindal.

Triton will form part of Australia’s maritime intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capability, complementing Air Force’s P-8A Poseidon.

The two aircraft systems will provide a leading-edge maritime patrol and response capability for Australia.
These users liked the author Mercator for the post:
wargame_insomniac

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

A few days ago HMAS Adelaide and Choules began loading various armoured vehicles for Exercise Sea Explorer. (Most likely for landings at Cowley Beach in North Queensland, or possibly Shoalwater Bay training area (north of Rockhampton, Central Queensland). Should be more photos when that happens. Mildly controversial only because there is a persistent view among some observers that Australian heavy armour is somehow un-deployable with current assets.

Anyway, here is the two embarkation phase photo galleries and a few select photos:
https://images.defence.gov.au/assets/S20231721
https://images.defence.gov.au/assets/S20231729
wargame_insomniac

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

This youtube posting although providing much of what was already known does go into some details of what was not and does cover some details of the Dreadnought class that will go into the AUKUS class
These users liked the author Zeno for the post:
wargame_insomniac

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

https://amp.9news.com.au/article/f741b3 ... f5b2bd5ab3

I suppose that’s one way to get rid of our M113

Think we might just as well send the lot after all marles said we don’t have the capacity to send all the Phase 3 AFV over the beach so why keep M113

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

I think we just found out in a roundabout way who will win the LAND 400 Phase 3 bid, I think the odds of LYNX KF41 just shoot up if the below is correct.

Albanese lands in Berlin, unveils $1b defence deal
The prime minister has touched down in Europe, confirming a deal worth more than $1 billion to sell Australian-made armoured vehicles to Germany, ahead of talks at a NATO summit.
What I do not understand why Germany would even need to do it, 100 units.
These users liked the author R686 for the post:
Mercator

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Australia to deploy surveillance aircraft [E-7A] to assist Ukraine
https://www.reuters.com/world/australia ... 023-07-10/

The aircraft and crews will be deployed to Germany in October. Prime Minister's statement here:
https://www.pm.gov.au/media/australia-h ... paign=news

I'm not sure that the "humanitarian corridors" really need all that much protection. I mean, Poland. But, I'm sure it's an excellent opportunity to gather performance data on the E-7A against real-world targets and emitters. I'm surprised it took them this long.
These users liked the author Mercator for the post (total 2):
serge750wargame_insomniac

SouthernOne
Australia

Post by SouthernOne »

R686 wrote: 10 Jul 2023, 00:00 I think we just found out in a roundabout way who will win the LAND 400 Phase 3 bid, I think the odds of LYNX KF41 just shoot up if the below is correct.

Albanese lands in Berlin, unveils $1b defence deal
The prime minister has touched down in Europe, confirming a deal worth more than $1 billion to sell Australian-made armoured vehicles to Germany, ahead of talks at a NATO summit.
What I do not understand why Germany would even need to do it, 100 units.
Alternatively, the Aus government may have wanted this deal signed off before announcing Hanwha the winner of Land 400 phase three.

Why would Germany be interested? Timeliness of delivery. If they are as serious about rebuilding their capabilities as they have publicly stated, then taking 2 or 3 years out of the delivery timeline makes perfect sense.

Time will tell.

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Tyler's article makes the point that the NATO AWACS people (and procurement officials) can also get a good look – so there's that too. Timely. The US or someone in NATO might even have suggested it.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Boeing never one to miss a sales opportunity after all.

Also shows yet again no matter where the operation is one of the requests for contribution is always airborne ISTAR aircraft.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
serge750

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Great location, fabulous exercise:

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

Should exercises like these include likely scenarios from real peer on peer conflicts like Ukraine war as a means to learn ?

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Zeno wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 13:09 Should exercises like these include likely scenarios from real peer on peer conflicts like Ukraine war as a means to learn ?
They already do, but I imagine there is an infinite list of contingencies thatt could happen in the Western Pacific and choices will be made. Give them some credit. I'm sure they're just as much invested in being relevant as us random Internet yobbos.
Zeno

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

[Australian] Government accelerates Ghost Bat program
https://www.australiandefence.com.au/ne ... at-program

Boeing Australia is already under contract to produce ten MQ-28As for development and testing and ADM understands that four of these have now flown. Testing in both live and virtual environments continues at the Woomera Test Range complex in outback South Australia and recent work has seen the Ghost Bat conducting test flights under the command of the mission system’s “autonomous behaviours” laws. This milestone saw the aircraft perform completely autonomously, without commands from the Ground Control Station at Woomera.

Over 17,000 hours of digital mission system testing in a simulated combat environment have now been completed.

RAAF Eyes Super Hornet Extension, Future Competition
https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/ ... ompetition

The extension plan will likely require the RAAF to perform a midlife update, raising the Super Hornet squadron to Boeing’s Block III standard.

The decision also pushes a replacement order for the F/A-18E/F fleet until the mid-2030s. The F-35A is expected by the Pentagon to still be in production at that time, but several other fighter designs and approaches to air combat also may be available by then.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Hope the Oz gov buy GCAP as a replacement.....

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

serge750 wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 10:21 Hope the Oz gov buy GCAP as a replacement.....
Then there was four ...

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

Mercator
Australia

Post by Mercator »

SouthernOne
Australia

Post by SouthernOne »

Mercator wrote: 17 Jul 2023, 23:43
It's worth keeping in mind that the USN operates over 40 nuclear submarines in the Pacific.