NORGE/Norway

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
SW1
United Kingdom

Re: NORGE/Norway

Post by SW1 »

Not sure if this has been posted before but video of the Norwegian frigate collision in 2018

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Interesting article on Breaking Defense
Re the Norwegian $1.9 billion imminent order for 54 German Leopard 2A7 tanks plus options for additional 18 which has been publicly opposed by Norway’s Chief of Defense Eirik Kristoffersen as he advised the government to invest in new helicopters and long range precision fires instead - HIMARS? presumably his opinion influenced by Ukraine and Norways mountainous terrain, hints the politicians more influenced by wish for closer ties to Germany in opting for the Leopard's.

Norway planning on donating $7.3 billion over five years to Ukraine for military assistance, has come under critism as that is only approx. a parsimonious 1.5% of the additional windfall profits they made in 2022 due to hike in gas prices from their gas fields resulting from Russia cutting off supplies, think right in saying UK a major importer of Norwegian gas.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/02/wit ... ty-debate/

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Meriv9
Italy

Post by Meriv9 »

Considering how we (Italians) bought Vard and kept it going, transforming the production to cruise luxury lines, taking in the financial losses (we also closed shipyards to be fair), injecting new capital.

Buying UK would be pretty bad.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Meriv9 wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 07:25 Considering how we (Italians) bought Vard and kept it going, transforming the production to cruise luxury lines, taking in the financial losses (we also closed shipyards to be fair), injecting new capital.

Buying UK would be pretty bad.
The link with the UK runs deep the little village I grew up in was the home of the Free Norwegian Airforce Fighter group in WW11 the war memorial was a gift from the Norwegian Queen and the Village was twinned with Oslo by decree of the Norwegian King

Meriv9
Italy

Post by Meriv9 »

But Geopolitics and Money talk, reason why regardless of the deep cultural connection with the Greek, they bought French ships not Italians.

(I mean after equipment perfomance)

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Meriv9 wrote: 11 Jun 2023, 09:07 But Geopolitics and Money talk, reason why regardless of the deep cultural connection with the Greek, they bought French ships not Italians.

(I mean after equipment perfomance)
Quite right we will have to see which win's out Hearts or Minds however I would say they can not lose if they get Italian FREMM or Type 26 they still get a world class warship

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

These users liked the author new guy for the post:
wargame_insomniac

inch

Post by inch »

Could we interest you in some type26 Norway?,tick alot of boxes i think, should be up and running by the time you make a choice to evaluate,whether UK ASW version or an AUSTRALIAN or CANADIAN version
These users liked the author inch for the post:
serge750

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

inch wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 17:37 Could we interest you in some type26 Norway?,tick alot of boxes i think, should be up and running by the time you make a choice to evaluate,whether UK ASW version or an AUSTRALIAN or CANADIAN version
Another option mentioned is the new Damen 6,500t Dutch/Belgium ASW frigate, sure will be others.