Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
abc123
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by abc123 »

How good is Mojave for take off or landing when the sea and wind aren't so calm like in this video?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

abc123 wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 14:47 How good is Mojave for take off or landing when the sea and wind aren't so calm like in this video?
I would have hoped that POW has trialled more than one set of take offs & landings as part of the Mojave testing. Start with unloaded drone in calm weather and gradually increase the payload and then start again from unloaded but under adverse weather conditions.

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 19:43
abc123 wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 14:47 How good is Mojave for take off or landing when the sea and wind aren't so calm like in this video?
I would have hoped that POW has trialled more than one set of take offs & landings as part of the Mojave testing. Start with unloaded drone in calm weather and gradually increase the payload and then start again from unloaded but under adverse weather conditions.
https://www.ga-asi.com/images/products/ ... P07263.pdf

About 18 hours ISR endurance, 2 hours with weapon load.

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

new guy wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 19:58

Taking off from land -sure.
What about taking off from an aircraft carrier?
Specifially the POW / QNLZ??
Under what sea state???
Practical experience of what the Mojave can do in real daily RN operations at sea, not what it could theorically do in a sales brochure.

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

wargame_insomniac wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 20:57
new guy wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 19:58

Taking off from land -sure.
What about taking off from an aircraft carrier?
Specifially the POW / QNLZ??
Under what sea state???
Practical experience of what the Mojave can do in real daily RN operations at sea, not what it could theorically do in a sales brochure.
Not like there is another source.

Donald-san believes that a MQ-9B STOL performance factors would be better due to ramp, ship head wind, general head wind, and something about the wing positively squaring up in lift value.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

????? What on Earth do people think the purpose of the MQ-9B on-board trials were for?
????? Do people really think that the gathered data would be free for publication?
????? We don’t know yet, but are there more trials to come?
????? Is equivalent information available for the F-35B?
????? Accepting the calm conditions in the Video, I note that the Ski-Jump was not even
relevant. The craft was launched well before reaching ithe ramp.
I am afraid it seems like a lot of talk about nothing to me! :lol:
These users liked the author Scimitar54 for the post (total 2):
new guyDahedd

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Scimitar54 wrote: 15 Dec 2023, 04:04
The craft was launched well before reaching ithe ramp.
I am afraid it seems like a lot of talk about nothing to me! :lol:
IMHO, not so much talk about nothing.
Did you see how fast did it fly up when taking off, with presumably carrier turned its course into the wind. The whole configuration of the UAV is adjusted for exactly that.
Now, what will happen when, instead of gentle wind that blows in whatever direction ( it isn't important for the test, you can turn the carrier ) and balmy sea- you have strong wind that blows sideways, for example if the UAV has to fly to the north, but the strong wind is from the east?
Carrier takeoff and landing is a tricky thing even for a experienced pilot, how good is a computer, who knows?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

Am I missing something? I thought it was rule 101 that carriers always turn into the wind to launch unless there are exceptional reasons not to.

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

Also, based on commercial flying experience, aren't auto pilot systems statistically safer than human pilots?

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

I'll put this here, but if the mod's want to move it...

The night time parts are really cool by the way :thumbup:
These users liked the author Little J for the post (total 2):
mrclark303SKB

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

Little J wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 22:54 I'll put this here, but if the mod's want to move it...

The night time parts are really cool by the way :thumbup:
Facinating, thanks for posting. It's really interesting to see RVL being truly tested and opened out at progressively increasing speed.

As you say the night, dawn, dusk filming is beautiful too....
These users liked the author mrclark303 for the post:
Roberto

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

^ @ 6m:32s Vertical take-offs too? I don't recall that being done before.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Almost any vessel with a flight deck & hangar could ferry replacement aircraft and transfer them across to the carrier using VTOL
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Herc15
United Kingdom

Post by Herc15 »

SKB wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 10:10 ^ @ 6m:32s Vertical take-offs too? I don't recall that being done before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW28Mb1YvwY here is the test bird doing it, not seen it on a carrier before though.

Edit. sorry not sure how to embed the video

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

Caribbean wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 11:26 Almost any vessel with a flight deck & hangar could ferry replacement aircraft and transfer them across to the carrier using VTOL
It would melt the flight deck.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

new guy wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 16:57
Caribbean wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 11:26 Almost any vessel with a flight deck & hangar could ferry replacement aircraft and transfer them across to the carrier using VTOL
I was kind of assuming that they would apply relevant coatings (and strengthening, where applicable), but maybe all posts should be accompanied by a full technical spec and list of caveats going forward

Or people could just fill in the blanks themselves.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Caribbean wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 09:55
I was kind of assuming that they would apply relevant coatings (and strengthening, where applicable), but maybe all posts should be accompanied by a full technical spec and list of caveats going forward

Except that your statement at the minute is wildly inaccurate without serious technical work and expense that isn't going to happen.
These users liked the author downsizer for the post:
new guy

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

downsizer wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 11:56

Except that your statement at the minute is wildly inaccurate without serious technical work and expense that isn't going to happen.
I suppose playing devil's advocate, in a war emergency you could bolt steel panels to the deck as a temporary measure to VTO F35's from a suitable transport ship to the Carrier.

I can't think of a reason we would need to do that today, bar another Falklands war, but it's possible.

Necessity is the mother of invention as they say....

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

mrclark303 wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 02:09

I suppose playing devil's advocate, in a war emergency you could bolt steel panels to the deck as a temporary measure to VTO F35's from a suitable transport ship to the Carrier.

I can't think of a reason we would need to do that today, bar another Falklands war, but it's possible.

Other ships are also made of steel...

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

downsizer wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 11:56 Except that your statement at the minute is wildly inaccurate without serious technical work and expense that isn't going to happen.
Yawn. Did you notice the word "could"? Used to indicate a possibility. Clearly not.

2 Flight decks were fitted to Canberra in 48 hours. Implies that there was some form of pre-planning for the eventuality (not specifically Canberra, but for requisitioned civilian vessels in general). There was certainly a list of pre-surveyed civilian ships that the MOD had on its requisition list.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that sort of contingency planning is done today
Winston Churchill

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

new guy wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 09:15

That's not what I am saying. If you wanted to VTO ferry F35B's from a STUFT transport ship and launch them from the deck, then you need to protect the deck, i.e steel sheets bolted to the deck and hosed down with water...

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Caribbean wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 09:59
downsizer wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 11:56 Except that your statement at the minute is wildly inaccurate without serious technical work and expense that isn't going to happen.
Yawn. Did you notice the word "could"? Used to indicate a possibility. Clearly not.

2 Flight decks were fitted to Canberra in 48 hours. Implies that there was some form of pre-planning for the eventuality (not specifically Canberra, but for requisitioned civilian vessels in general). There was certainly a list of pre-surveyed civilian ships that the MOD had on its requisition list.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that sort of contingency planning is done today
Cheers dits.

It's about as likely as me winning the euromillions tomorrow.

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

One would hope...

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

mrclark303 wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 11:17
new guy wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 09:15

That's not what I am saying. If you wanted to VTO ferry F35B's from a STUFT transport ship and launch them from the deck, then you need to protect the deck, i.e steel sheets bolted to the deck and hosed down with water...
But the deck would already be made of steel, so it would help nill.

Bongodog
United Kingdom

Post by Bongodog »

new guy wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 17:57

One would hope...
MOD officials boarded Canberra at Gibraltar on its way to Southampton to take the required measurements for the flightdecks, the recently printed history of the Canberra has full details of this, but no mention of any advance contingency planning.
These users liked the author Bongodog for the post:
new guy