2019 UK General Election

For discussions on politics and current events.

Who will win the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservatives
53%
Labour
No votes
Liberal Democrats
No votes
The Brexit Party
No votes
Other
No votes
No majority winner, Hung Parliament.
47%

Total votes: 36

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Re: 2019 UK General Election

Post by RichardIC »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:" the potential impact on the health and social care workforces that rely considerably on staff who are EU nationals;
Spot on with this one. The NHS is dependent on EU qualified staff and the tap has just been turned off. Recruitment from the EU is virtually zero. And while Boris keeps going on about providing more doctors and nurses from within the UK the reality is that nurse recruitment is falling and the number retiring early is rising. So where will they come from? You can't press-gang nurses and I don't recall the courts ever sentencing felons to serve five years as a nurse. So where exactly?

Similar issues with doctors. Racked off NHS doctors find it extremely easy to find work in Aus or Canada, and why wouldn't you?
ArmChairCivvy wrote:More topical, Channel 4 News just dug deeper with its own investigation, revealing how cuts have left 65 out of 92 NHS Trusts with severe patient safety risk factors.
Trusts are obsessed with risk. Have a look at any trust's risk register. The November board papers of my local trust mention the world "risk" 485 times. Seriously.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

RichardIC wrote:And while Boris keeps going on about providing more doctors and nurses from within the UK the reality is that nurse recruitment is falling
The i (newspaper) has constructed a net for the EU citizens, and going forward that would be a MINUS 6k, for each year. But nevermind, as you won't even get as far as taken to the hospital as there are 2k unfilled vacancies across the whole ambulance service. And across (is it 8 in 'mainland' UK?) the total, the top three with EU nationals score NW 152, SW 101 and SE 66. Double that, to cover all of the services and them EU nationals that is - leaving will add 600 to the already worrying 2000 :shh:
RichardIC wrote: board papers of my local trust mention the world "risk" 485 times. Seriously.
It is a legal matter for Trusts (and those who sit on the Boards) whereas the Gvmnt ( at least the persons within it) normally get off lightly... whatever happens :shock:
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(The Sun) 10th December 2019
:crazy: :clap: :mrgreen:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SKB wrote:Isn't it strange how Diane Abbot has vanished off the face of the earth during a general election isn't it?! :mrgreen:
She didn't even make the list, in the Paul Waugh mention of last night:
"“John has my full support,” Corbyn said later, but it feels like Ashworth will be put in the same sealed safehouse that currently houses Jacob Rees-Mogg, Priti Patel, Keir Starmer and Emily Thornberry."
... must be due to her being the first one to vanish, and the sealed safehouse was only built subsequently :D

On a more serious note, looks like the 'extremes' on the one side and the 'most sensible ones' on the other have been locked away :think:
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Genius.

(The Sun) 10th December 2019

:clap:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The various promises from the manifestos and campaigning may seem like costly, but they (mass nationalisations apart) are kids' stuff compared to the one not promised, but quite likely:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oL4YZBrvuYc/ ... 40/IFS.JPG

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

22:00 - EXIT POLLS

BBC

:shock: :lol: :mrgreen:

inch

Post by inch »

if correct might be our defence is save ,but still early in evening yet

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

From what i've been able to glean from the internet.... the least accurate exit poll was wrong by 12 seats.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

First Declarations

1. Newcastle Central LAB HOLD.
2. Sunderland LAB HOLD.
3. Blyth Valley CON GAIN. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/con ... /E14000575

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

A Mining town, labour since the 50's swinging Blue.... :crazy:

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Thank God, democracy (Brexit) will finally be delivered, the antisemites, terrorist sympathising communists won't get anywhere near number 10. Fantastic result

zanahoria
United Kingdom

Post by zanahoria »

I’m pro remain as you know. All I’m going to say is: I’ve got a really bad feeling about this. I hope I’m wrong, but at the moment every sense is screaming “never ending debacle & decline”.

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

The remain side has now lost the referendum, the 2017 election, the euros and the 2019 election.

You will soon be “rejoiners” rather than remainers.

There remains a decent chance that history is on your side and you will be proven right over time. No one knows yet.

But for now, you are a minority. On Twitter and elsewhere we’ve had years of remainers castigating the education levels of their opponents, promoting ideas of false consciousness (unaware you are being manipulated just as much as the brexiteers are), laughing at the thought of older brexiteers dying out (to be fair remainers on here have been relatively grown up).

I would humbly suggest it’s time for reflection.

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

Oh and I was wrong about the 100 seat majority.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

The best news in the election is that this https://www.cyclesidecar.com/euro-sidecar will have to be redesigned so that both the ERGers and DUP can travel in it... without any say on the direction!

The next best news is that corbynism is fighting for its life... a revolution always eats its children ;) .
- an opposite election result would have moved the UK from amongst the "world players"
- although this result might bring about the rUK :?:

However, the bigger picture is: short-term gain, but long-term pain
- any wagers :) on it "all" falling apart in June?
- people voted for stability and predictability
- the "Heads of Terms" attached to asking for an extension of the transition period must be really convincing for the "premium" of clarity now seen by the markets not to turn into a serious discount :idea:

Monty1985
United Kingdom

Post by Monty1985 »

My real concern is how it seems the SNP have regained a lot the ground they lost at the last election. They still don't have an overall majority in terms of voter share but now Blackford and Sturgeon and saying they have a mandate for another indyref it's a bit worrying.

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Whatever the result, they would be saying tha they had a mandate for another indyref. Intoxication definitely does impair the judgement!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

REF the post before the one immediately above: That's what I meant with rUK being back in the running: a hard border, and not in the Irish Sea (or, who knows, may be there, too).
- the race for the Gold position as for Britain's worst PM, if the Union falls apart, will be reopened and not restricted just to the two predecessors of Boris, anymore

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Pseudo wrote:section 30 provides no authority to force the UK government to accede to the request for a referendum by the Scottish government.
I bet N.S. will set the ball rolling in an hour or so in Dynamic Earth (a venue?) in Edinburgh
... just when :) we got Article 50 out of the way

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Who's going to heckle Black Rod during State Openings now that Dennis Skinner has lost his Bolsover seat?!

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

will set the ball rolling in an hour or so
@12:13 onwards, for next week "in writing".... whatever form that entails

T-Force
Scotland

Post by T-Force »

inch wrote:if correct might be our defence is save ,but still early in evening yet
The UK will soon be no more not only Scotland but N Ireland also if Boris Johnson says no Scottish Constitutional courts will tell him to do it or give Hollyrood the powers to do it themselves. The supreme court of the UK cannot overrule the Scottish Constitutional courts to do so ends the act of Union 1707 there and then no vote would be needed, he is facing Independence movements on 2 fronts in Scotland and N Ireland with the Nationalist now in control with 10 seats to 8 ..... the UK is finished

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

No such thing as the "Scottish Constitutional Courts". The two top Courts in Scotland are the High Court of Justiciary, which deals with Criminal matters (with no appeal to the Supreme Court) and the Court of Session, which deals with civil matters (so Constitutional issues would fall within their purvey), which is subordinate to the UK Supreme Court (or, if it's a matter of unincorporated European Law i.e. EU Law that has not yet been formally adopted into UK Law, to the ECJ).

Maybe you are thinking of the Constitution Committee of the House of Lords?

It's also worth noting that, even if a legal referendum was allowed, held and won by the separatists, it's still up to the UK Parliament (not the Scottish) to pass the legislation that would enact independence. I suspect thatt the negotiations around that will make Brexit look like child's play.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill