Womens World Cup Soccer

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
R686
Australia

Womens World Cup Soccer

Post by R686 »

I don't usually watch soccer, but the games was on and waiting for the Roosters v Dolphins footy. lucky I recorded it as they had the soccer finishing just after 7pm and the game finished at 8

Had to watch until the end to kick the French out was happy to see we did after penalty shootout.

But anyway, just as I was about to turn on the Roosters game. seem the girls play either England or Columbia in a few days' time.

Wonder if Macron is saying a few choice words at the moment :wave:

new guy
United Kingdom

Re: Womens World Cup Soccer

Post by new guy »

I think you make a mistake with the naming of this thread ...

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

new guy wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 11:28 I think you make a mistake with the naming of this thread ...

Nope always been called soccer since I was a lad growing up, footy was league in Sydney & VFL in Melbourne

But yes, Europeans like to call it football

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Its funny I just looked up where the name of "soccer originated. well...........England/Scotland

Brits coined the term soccer in the late 1800s to refer to Association Football, the sport we now know as soccer/football. "Soccer" was picked as a way to differentiate from another kind of football—Rugby Football. For a similar reason, "soccer" became the favored term in America, a way to differentiate against Gridiron Football.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180951751/

new guy
United Kingdom

Post by new guy »

R686 wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 11:50 Its funny I just looked up where the name of "soccer originated. well...........England/Scotland

Brits coined the term soccer in the late 1800s to refer to Association Football, the sport we now know as soccer/football. "Soccer" was picked as a way to differentiate from another kind of football—Rugby Football. For a similar reason, "soccer" became the favored term in America, a way to differentiate against Gridiron Football.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180951751/
Yes, quite hypocritical isn't it.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Congratulations to the Lionesses, I hear it was a well-played game.