Advice joining Uk forces

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
cky7
United Kingdom

Advice joining Uk forces

Post by cky7 »

Hi,

firstly, if this is in the wrong place admin/mods please move to the correct section and sorry!

I realise I’ve always been mostly a lurker here reading the discussion without contributing much, but was wanting to ask advice from people who’ve served or are serving and being a lifetime civvy and just an aviation geek with an interest in military affairs I’m limited for options!

My niece is 16 years old, turning 17 next year. She’s decided she wants to join the military and has got as far as talking fairly seriously to the army and it looks as though she’s going towards logistics - loading C-17s, A-400s, Chinooks etc I believe.

She’s always had a strong internet in aviation and came along to air shows with me and over the last couple of years has really impressed me with her knowledge of all the different platforms we get to see.

I was surprised when she said she’d chosen the army and initially the infantry (perhaps I did the wrong thing but I tried to talk her out of this option) and she now seems set on army logistics and I believe is due to start the initial process 2024.

She lives a little way from me so I’ve not had chance to have a proper catch up recently but will be seeing her Christmas Day.

Does anyone have any advice I can pass onto her or know of peolle/places etc that do provide good help for young women joining the military. I’m hoping it’s a great option for her 🤞🤞and she’s obviously been convinced the military is the path she wants to follow for a number of years.

It would be nice to take some advice to her or be able to point her in a few helpful directions if anyone can help?

Many thanks and happy Christmas to all!
These users liked the author cky7 for the post:
new guy

bobp
United Kingdom

Re: Advice joining Uk forces

Post by bobp »

Maybe she should join the RAF as a Loadmaster.
These users liked the author bobp for the post:
RunningStrong

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

If she wants to load aircraft as a career, RAF mover would be best. Its their core role, most of the trade are at Brize.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

She would be heading in the right way going to the Royal Logistic Crops she needs to be clear she wants to end up in 13 Air Assault Support Regiment RLC and if possible 47 Air Despatch Sqn that is where the really cool shit is done they are based at Brize

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corp ... iment-rlc/

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

Thanks for the advice bob, topman and tempest. I must admit I had wondered if the RAF would be something she should look at but had kept quiet, where I’ve no actual experience.

I think she had gone to army recruitment and together they’d decided on this route and she had seemed really excited about it.

I’ve heard that unfortunately she was turned down by the army due to asthma. I don’t have the full story, but I was quite surprised as whilst I knew she had it, it’s never been particularly serious AFAIK. She’s always been pretty sporty and it’s never been an issue in any of that and it seemed to me half the kids in her generation had asthma as opposed to the one or two in PE I remember from my school days.

She’s pretty disappointed so just wanted to check if a turn down from the army is likely to mean she’d also likely be turned down by the RAF too?

Thanks again guys

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Regarding fitness, I have no idea whether RAF standards are lower than the army, but it is the case that basic training is pretty tough and if she uses a inhaler or needs one then i imagine they may say no. But worth a try.

topman
Tokelau

Post by topman »

Might be worth looking online at the latest medical standards for joining. They do change quite a bit.

RunningStrong

Post by RunningStrong »

cky7 wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 19:41
I’ve heard that unfortunately she was turned down by the army due to asthma. I don’t have the full story, but I was quite surprised as whilst I knew she had it, it’s never been particularly serious AFAIK. She’s always been pretty sporty and it’s never been an issue in any of that and it seemed to me half the kids in her generation had asthma as opposed to the one or two in PE I remember from my school days.

She’s pretty disappointed so just wanted to check if a turn down from the army is likely to mean she’d also likely be turned down by the RAF too?

Thanks again guys
I had a similar experience.

My only advice is put the armed forces aside for now, she'll need to go 4 years completely clear of any asthma or prescription to meet JSP 950. Unfortunately, many clinics routinely renew asthma pumps every 2 years for children.

If she needs to wait out her 4 years then she should focus on a career, her fitness and then perhaps consider the reserves first (same medical standard) before committing to regular service.

cky7
United Kingdom

Post by cky7 »

thanks bobp, Topman and Running Strong I’ve passed all that on. I think she’s going to go along the route R/S suggested. 4 years seems a long time at her age but it gives her time to pursue other interests and see where she is then.

In the meantime she’d looking at maybe personal fitness coaching and a few other options.

Thanks again for the advice and happy new year to all 👍