Russian Arms Industry

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
JoeClaxton

Russian Arms Industry

Post by JoeClaxton »

Is it just me or do others find it hard to escape the conclusion that the sole beneficiary of American Foreign Policy, particularly that regarding Human Rights pronouncements is the Russian arms industry? Egypt, Indonesia, Crete (deep water harbour potentially), to name a few recent cases?
Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not against the U.S. Or any country for that matter taking strong positions on Human Rights. However, but in terms of defence markets it seems a pretty blunt instrument. Comments anyone?
Joe Claxton, Cllr.

Westminster Chimes
Suite 423
266 Banbury Rd
Summertown
Oxford
OX2 7DL

http://www.joeclaxton.co.uk
JbcPublicAffairs@gmail.com

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Re: Russian Arms Industry

Post by WhitestElephant »

This thread should possibly be in the "Political Discussions " section, given it has nothing to do with British Armed Forces specific equipment.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

JoeClaxton

Post by JoeClaxton »

WhitestElephant wrote:This thread should possibly be in the "Political Discussions " section, given it has nothing to do with British Armed Forces specific equipment.
Many apologies, I'm new to this board, and to tell the truth, new to Defence. After thirty years in programming and systems I decided I might best contribute to my country by getting involved. I don't know if the post can be re-located but I'll certainly check groups more thoroughly before posting next time. Thanks for the steer.
Joe Claxton, Cllr.

Westminster Chimes
Suite 423
266 Banbury Rd
Summertown
Oxford
OX2 7DL

http://www.joeclaxton.co.uk
JbcPublicAffairs@gmail.com

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

JoeClaxton wrote:
WhitestElephant wrote:This thread should possibly be in the "Political Discussions " section, given it has nothing to do with British Armed Forces specific equipment.
Many apologies, I'm new to this board, and to tell the truth, new to Defence. After thirty years in programming and systems I decided I might best contribute to my country by getting involved. I don't know if the post can be re-located but I'll certainly check groups more thoroughly before posting next time. Thanks for the steer.
No worries Joe. One of the Admins will move it to the appropriate section. Welcome to the forum by the way, and glad to hear your reasons for getting involved!

To comment on the topic, the United States stance on human rights is absolutely correct, regardless of whether countries like Crete, Egypt etc will turn to Russia as a consequence. While they (Egypt etc) may benefit from this relationship in the short-term, I do not think it sustainable in the long-term.

The Russian Arms Industry is in a sorry state, lets face it. So any dividend it receives from dealing with these marginalised countries will be limited at best.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Welcome to the forums, Joe! :)

As WhitestElephant has already pointed out, this section of the board is for the discussion of British Armed Forces equipment only. All non-UK defence threads should be posted in the Defence Elsewhere section:

http://ukdefenceforum.net/viewforum.php?f=32

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SF boats thread probably was under UK kit, so will put this one here:
http://www.hisutton.com/Naval%20Spetsna ... rfare.html

There is something missing (ie. no recorded observations of the craft/ device carried) as in the Baltic prints from tracks have been noted.
- what could be the purpose for such a method of movement that will burn through the already limiting battery?
- perhaps to crawl along a sea cable, to make sure that the destruction will be permanent (by non-explosive means) or planting a remote controlled mine/ charge, without the crew having to leave their "work stations"

Can't approach the actual sub listening stations as the going-ons would become apparent
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

In my view they were kept separate over the period of almost no orders just to motivate the design teams through competition, rather than getting bored and leaving the industry:

"Sukhoi and MiG are scheduled to merge into a single combat aviation structural unit of United Aircraft Corporation (UAC). Starting in 2019, the UAC will switch to the format of a single company, a single corporate contour while the division will be in the format of a unit of the UAC single company. "
- DID as source
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

"Coffee, tea or ...?"

No, this is not from the film "Working 9 to 5" but
"Indonesian agricultural commodities would be traded for the Russian fighter aircraft, specifically 11 examples of the Su-35 jets.

Jakarta, in exchange, is to provide Russia with, among other goods, coffee, palm oil, or tea"

Why palm oil? The Russian dairy industry can't produce enough and the sanctions have removed cheese from many families table at what would be our "tea time".

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Why palm oil? The Russian dairy industry can't produce enough and the sanctions have removed cheese from many families table at what would be our "tea time".
There's a hell of a lot of uses for palm oil beyond food like detergents amongst many other uses.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Certainly. But if you look at Putin's counter-sanctions and which are hurting the ordinary Russians most, it is the dairy category
- they just caught a man returning in his minibus, and he had put 110 kg of "Oltermanni" cheese into the structures of the vehicle... a bit like hashish** in the good old days; just that the kilo prices do not quite equate (perhaps the sentencing neither, the story does not tell)

------
** such small-timers returning from their "adventure holidays" in Morocco were put out of business when the St. Petersburg Port Authority, under Putin's protection in the 90's, took in the stuff by ship load, for further distribution into Europe
- of course, he and his close circle are not "small timing" in things like that, anymore. The money (from public finances) pumped into the conglomerate making the Armata & co is 100 bn(!) roubles, and it hasn't all gone into making the tanks - how many have you seen yet? Explains some of the hype, about it making Russia invincible. Some here believe it, but it is really for domestic consumption

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Cheese would be nice, but so would a new car; Russia took a v steep stumble in 2008 and they are now (the middle class is) where they were straight after that shock:

https://imrussia.org/images/stories/Eco ... 2017_3.jpg