Operation Shader - Iraq, Syria

Discuss current, historical or potential future deployments, as well the defence of the UK's overseas interests.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Operation Shader - Iraq, Syria

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

A no-brainer, really.

There's been rumours circulating that six Typhoons will be deployed in addition to two more Tornados. It'll be interesting to see if that actually happens.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

arfah wrote:I was mightily impressed by Hilary Benn's speech at the conclusion of deliberations.
Indeed it was. Unfortunately I'm having to ignore my twitter timeline because there's just too much knee-jerk "won't you think of the children?" type stupidity.
I didn't think he would vote in favour.
Really? He voted to go in to Afghanistan in 2001, Iraq in 2003 and Iraq in 2014. Maybe you're confusing him with his dad who held very different views.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

From an operational POV it would be fascinating to see the Typhoons seeing some of the action. Would be particularly interesting as a means to chart progression from Ellamy but also interesting to watch more generally - see it flex its muscles type of thing.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

arfah wrote:
Pseudo wrote:
arfah wrote:I didn't think he would vote in favour.
Really? He voted to go in to Afghanistan in 2001, Iraq in 2003 and Iraq in 2014. Maybe you're confusing him with his dad who held very different views.
Not confused at all.

As shadow Foreign Secretary, I thought he would side with Corbyn.
He's been saying that he'd vote to support extending air strikes to Syria irrespective of Corbyn's position pretty much since the Paris attack. The deputy leader, defence secretary, business secretary, education secretary, health secretary and a few other shadow cabinet members also voted with the government.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Pseudo wrote:Unfortunately I'm having to ignore my twitter timeline because there's just too much knee-jerk "won't you think of the children?" type stupidity.
You're not the only one. I cringed into oblivion when I opened up my Facebook this morning. Christ.

RNFollower
United Kingdom

Post by RNFollower »

Maybe I have had my head in the sand but I was quite supprised to see that 6 Typhoons have been deployed alongside the Tornado's. I know they were used in Libya in 2011 with Paveway II. But I have not heard of any planned deployment of them for bombing purposes in Iraq/Syria before today. can anyone tell me if they are cleared now to use Paveway IV and Brimstone yet?

Wrekin762
Cayman Islands

Post by Wrekin762 »

The Typhoons arrived in Akrotiri, seemingly carrying Litening III so should indicate they're there for more than air-policing.

They've gone low-visibility with all the markings being pulled off the tails and fuselages I see, but the "F" tail codes seem to indicate most are normally assigned to No.1 Squadron

Night pics of the 8 aircraft were taken at Lossiemouth before departure.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

arfah wrote:IT may be the Typhoons provide the targeting for the Tornados.
I haven't laughed that hard in years mate.

Do we have a quote of the month or similar... :lol:

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

downsizer wrote:

Fine by me.

I'm just considering an option akin to Bucc's and Tornados in 1991.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

RNFollower wrote:Maybe I have had my head in the sand but I was quite supprised to see that 6 Typhoons have been deployed alongside the Tornado's. I know they were used in Libya in 2011 with Paveway II. But I have not heard of any planned deployment of them for bombing purposes in Iraq/Syria before today. can anyone tell me if they are cleared now to use Paveway IV and Brimstone yet?
The Typhoons are equipped with Paveway IV according to the MOD. No Brimstone on Typhoon until 2018, IIRC.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

The tranche 1's must be so happy. A life extension and a deployment, just what every fighter jet wants!

A bit suprised to see them overe there, but glad they are.
@LandSharkUK

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

arfah wrote:
downsizer wrote:

Fine by me.

I'm just considering an option akin to Bucc's and Tornados in 1991.
I see you've edited your original reply, my reply was slightly tongue in cheek. Anyway I won't go in to how we operate in the air, because as old fashioned as it is I still believe in a bit of Opsec, but Tornado doesn't need Typhoon to provide targeting. Tornado is the much more mature A2G platform and has a much better sensor suite at present. It may happen the other way round, but the idea of a Typhoon providing targeting to Tornado is laughable at present mate.

And just like Ellamy they are late to the show.
shark bait wrote: A bit suprised to see them overe there, but glad they are.
The only reason they are there is because the TGRF force was cut too far, too fast. They're aren't enough crews and maintainers to maintain 24/7 365 Ops with any significant increase in footprint so in order to be seen to "do something" Typhoons have been thrown in as a token effort.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

I figured that, the idea of the airshow princess lazing for the tonka made me "lol".

One day it will be fully capable. Hopefully!

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

It'll drop a token handful of PW4s on its own so it can be claimed to be combat proven.

They'll be home in a few weeks for back slapping and promotions all round. Probably issue a shader medal as well so the typhoon jockeys can have a bit of bling.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

RNFollower
United Kingdom

Post by RNFollower »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:
RNFollower wrote:Maybe I have had my head in the sand but I was quite supprised to see that 6 Typhoons have been deployed alongside the Tornado's. I know they were used in Libya in 2011 with Paveway II. But I have not heard of any planned deployment of them for bombing purposes in Iraq/Syria before today. can anyone tell me if they are cleared now to use Paveway IV and Brimstone yet?
The Typhoons are equipped with Paveway IV according to the MOD. No Brimstone on Typhoon until 2018, IIRC.
Thanks for the info

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Syria air strikes: RAF warplanes deployed from Cyprus - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35011984

And off they go......that was quick.

Wait and see what they come back with now.
@LandSharkUK

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Fucks sake. I despair at the press sometimes.