Labour Party

For discussions on politics and current events.
Cooper
Korea North

Re: Jeremy Corbyn is New Labour Leader

Post by Cooper »

Pseudo wrote:I really don't see why even the far-left would want to alter our stance on the Falklands.
..because the British far left despise their own country as it is currently constituted.

arfah
Niue

Re: Labour Party

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

rec

Post by rec »

Fitted for not with is pointless, if he really wants an ability to to build but not deploy nuclear weapons and save jobs at Barrow, then:

Build 4 batch 2 Astute class with vertical tubes for cruise missles.

Spit the F35 order to 65B for RN only and 65C for the RAF, the F35c could carry nuclear weapons.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Corbyn's semi-U-turn is almost certainly the result of someone pointing out that even if by some miracle he got in to power there'd realistically be nothing he could do to prevent the submarines from being built that wouldn't involve compensating BAe for the full cost of the project anyway.

Does anyone know if the Common Missile Compartment supports or can be converted to support cruise missiles? If it can then rather than having four SSBN's floating around without missiles, I'd think that it would be far more useful to use them as SSGN's. It might not have they same geopolitical or strategic heft as CASD does, but it'd give us a pretty mighty first day of war capability.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

to the left the Falklands are a Symbol of the Hated Margaret Thatcher and so must be publicly disposed of to try and destroy her legacy. That legacy was about getting Britain of its Knees.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Nah. While I'm sure you'll find someone on the far-left who thinks that AFAIK it isn't a widespread view even on the far-left. What you're doing is you're confusing the far-left's view on the Falklands with their view of the modern Conservative Party.:shock: The reason that the far-left want to ditch the Falklands and the other BOST is because they see them as relics of our imperialist past that should be given the independence to decide their own future... as long as that future doesn't involve being under the heel of British imperialism, or something. Obviously, this isn't a position that takes the rights of BOST residents or global politics in to consideration. Like much of the far-left's dogma it isn't particularly robust because it's based on purely ideological positions that haven't evolved in a century.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Hmm. Thought of alternative use for the empty missile silo's on the SSBN's after Comrade Corbyn removes the missiles. The four boats, which would be kept but missiles decommissioned, could have their silos converted.

The Vanguard (and Successor) class submarines would have their silo's converted into 16 large and luxurious crew showers. A cold water shower option - which is cheaper than heating the water - would build strength of character and is simply an overhead hatch opening away.
;)

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

A true work of genius. Not only it would make the deterrent non credible, but it would cost even more due to greater storage needs for warheads and/or a new round of warhead decommissioning.

Genius.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

jedibeeftrix

Post by jedibeeftrix »

in the beeb documentary on a nuke exchange over the baltics, was lord west shit canned from the show half way through for not taking it seriously?

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Shadow Defence Secretary Emily Thornberry on UK defence policy at RUSI.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I actually agreed with what she said at the end about special forces, more spooks, and cyber. The rest was just the usual bullshit.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

how do you recruit SF from smaller and smaller numbers of regular troops?

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

I agree with the criticism of the SDSR 2010, and even of the 2015 one, which does nothing other than shore up somewhat part of the damage.
But what has she got to offer? New cuts, no Trident, and vague promises on sectors which, by "common policy", the government will never say anything about.

And so, after five years of rhetoric about Special Forces, you might learn that the C-130K with SF kit is gone and Project HERMES has delivered no replacement yet; UKSFSG has lost rather than gained one company, etcetera.

Bullshit. The farther away Labour is from Defence, especially Corbyn's Labour, the safer i feel, even with the failures of two conservative governments.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

bobp wrote:I actually agreed with what she said at the end about special forces
You actually believe a Labour government led by that full on retard Corbyn, would actually have the guts to use them, for anything.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I didn't bother to put what I believe about Corbyn. Yes the moon is made of cheese and the world is flat. I was agreeing with the statement made by his henchwoman regarding the need for more special forces, spooks and cyber capabilities.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

She won't be saying it though. This entire "review" by Labour is nothing more than SCRAP TRIDENT dressed up in all the things they can manage to get people to nod and think about it.

That is literally their single issue, everything else is irrelevant elements that they have no genuine wish to improve on in any way.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Corbyn post-Brexit. Dead man walking...

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Jeremy Corbyn sacks Hilary Benn from Shadow Cabinet

Jeremy Corbyn sacked Hilary Benn in the early hours of Sunday morning after the Observer revealed that the shadow foreign secretary was preparing to lead a coup against the Labour leader.

More: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... emy-corbyn

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

looks like Labour is Imoloding. This is going to be another interesting day.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Meh, who cares. I never have and never will vote for them. Whatever... ;)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

marktigger wrote:looks like Labour is Imoloding. This is going to be another interesting day.
If Corbyn somehow manages to cling on and find enough MP's (and a peer for Shadow Scottish Secretary) to populate his Shadow Cabinet, I struggle to see how the party can avoid splitting with his most experienced and respected MP's publicly expressing no confidence in his leadership.

That could lead to an electoral pact between the splitters and the Lib Dems on a platform of remaining in the EU and possibly sneaking electoral reform in there too.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I've run out of fingers counting the resignations and firings today from the Labour party. ;)

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

SKB wrote:I've run out of fingers counting the resignations and firings today from the Labour party. ;)
AFAIK there's only been one firing, but perhaps more importantly, you've only got seven fingers? :o

Hopefully Angela Eagle and John Ashworth won't resign because their on the National Executive Committee and the party General Secretary will need their support to enforce the legal opinion he received that would require Corbyn to seek nominations from the Parliamentary Party to be a candidate in any leadership contest.

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

SKB wrote:Meh, who cares. I never have and never will vote for them. Whatever... ;)
You should always care about the opposition to your preferred Party, multi-party systems need more than one healthy party. Otherwise, when one party becomes over-dominant you end up on the road to Turkey or Russia or worse.