Labour Party

For discussions on politics and current events.
marktigger
United Kingdom

Re: Labour Party

Post by marktigger »

coke, popcorn and marshmallow time as labour starts its next round of civil war

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

They may as well change the party name to "Millennial Snowflake Social Justice Warrior Beardy Alliance" or something... :twisted:

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

interesting Labours defence spokesperson hinted that they might increase defence spending above 2% and remove some of the things like pensions from the 2% figure that were added to cook the books..........not holding breath though.

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

How's that defence review going, the one Corbyn started when first elected leader? He gave it to Ken Livingston as I recall.

S M H
United Kingdom

Post by S M H »

2HeadsBetter wrote: He gave it to Ken Livingston as I recall
Comrade Ken probably hasn't completed his enquires with Vladimir on his input.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Given his disciplinary issues with the LP is he still involved?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Timmymagic wrote:Given his disciplinary issues with the LP is he still involved?
probably

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Car Crash Pt2

:shock: :lol:

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

yes she has lost her no claims bonus and will next be seen with a neck brace on for the whiplash :lol: :lol:

I wonder where party managers will hide her for the 5 weeks?

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

^^ they can't hide them all.....

hopper
United Kingdom

Post by hopper »

Just when the country needs an strong effective opposition we get this , enough to make you weep . Have we ever had a time when we have such inept party leaders ? . Farron , Sturgeon and Corbyn just seem to be so out of touch with most of the electorate/country . Not sure about May at the moment but she wasn't a strong stand out Home Secretary in my eyes .

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

hopper wrote:Just when the country needs an strong effective opposition we get this , enough to make you weep . Have we ever had a time when we have such inept party leaders ? . Farron , Sturgeon and Corbyn just seem to be so out of touch with most of the electorate/country . Not sure about May at the moment but she wasn't a strong stand out Home Secretary in my eyes .
could that be part of may's strategy, force the Labour party and Lib Dems to change their leadership, to produce a effective opposition?

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

marktigger wrote:
hopper wrote:Just when the country needs an strong effective opposition we get this , enough to make you weep . Have we ever had a time when we have such inept party leaders ? . Farron , Sturgeon and Corbyn just seem to be so out of touch with most of the electorate/country . Not sure about May at the moment but she wasn't a strong stand out Home Secretary in my eyes .
could that be part of may's strategy, force the Labour party and Lib Dems to change their leadership, to produce a effective opposition?
Doubtful, Farron will stay declaring an increase of MP numbers of 50-100% as a great success. Corbyn may well try to stay if he loses by considerably less than the polls currently indicate (e.g. If Labour only loses 30-40 seats and his vote share isn't too different from 2015 level).

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Corbyn staying could also be very dependent also on who is returned and who looses their seats.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

I think that one of the big problems for the left is that currently it seems incapable of giving the perception of fiscal discipline. In an era of austerity driven perpetual deficit increasing public spending seems counter-intuitive. It's worth remembering that even in the 1997 election campaign Blair was so cautious that he felt it necessary to commit to match Conservative spending plans for the next two years.
marktigger wrote:Corbyn staying could also be very dependent also on who is returned and who looses their seats.
From what I can see there aren't many major figure that should be at risk. They're mostly in seats with very big majorities, but I'm not sure that that's much of a guarantee this time.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Pseudo wrote:
marktigger wrote:Corbyn staying could also be very dependent also on who is returned and who looses their seats.
From what I can see there aren't many major figure that should be at risk. They're mostly in seats with very big majorities, but I'm not sure that that's much of a guarantee this time.
you never know in an election especially this one Corbyn is an anathema to many traditional Labour supporters. I have friends who are long term labour voters who won't be voting or voting for Labour because of him.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

buisness secretary on daily politics another one

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

everyone is predicting a lanslide for the conservatives but then they were predicting the Labour party winning last time.......If they do loose can Corbyn hang on as leader?

I also see they are putting union representitives from unite into safe seats

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Not remotely similar to 2015, Cons way way ahead, just a matter of how much by (I'm guessing anything from 14-18%). He will try to stay by the look of it

JayDee
United Kingdom

Post by JayDee »

The NEW longest suicide note: Leaked Labour manifesto reveals plans to take Britain back to the 1970s by renationalising railways, scrapping strike laws and £6bn tax raid

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 1970s.html

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Defence in the Labour manifesto:
The primary duty of any government is to protect and defend its citizens. We live in a period of growing international tensions. A strong, viable and sustainable defence and security policy must be strategic and evidence led.

As previous incoming governments have done, a Labour government will order a complete strategic defence and security review when it comes into office, to assess the emerging threats facing Britain, including hybrid and cyber warfare. Cyber security will form an integral part of our defence and security strategy and we will introduce a cyber-security charter for companies working with the Ministry of Defence.

We will ensure that our armed forces are properly equipped and resourced to respond to wide-ranging security challenges. Labour will commit to effective UN peacekeeping, including support for a UN Emergency Peace Service.

As the security threats and challenges we face are not bound by geographic borders, it is vital that as Britain leaves the EU, we maintain our close relationship with our European partners. Alongside our commitment to NATO, we will continue to work with the EU on a range of operational missions to promote and support global and regional security.

The last Labour government consistently spent above the NATO benchmark of 2 per cent of GDP. Conservative spending cuts have put Britain’s security at risk, shrinking the army to its smallest size since the Napoleonic wars. The scrapping of Nimrod, HMS Ark Royal and the Harrier jump-jets have weakened our defences and cost British taxpayers millions.

Labour’s commitment to spending at least 2 per cent of GDP on defence will guarantee that our Armed Forces have the necessary capabilities to fulfil the full range of obligations, and ensure our conventional forces are versatile and able to deploy in a range of roles.

Labour supports the renewal of the Trident nuclear deterrent. As a nuclear-armed power, our country has a responsibility to fulfil our obligations under the Nuclear Non- Proliferation Treaty. Labour will lead multilateral efforts with international partners and the UN to create a nuclear-free world.

The UK defence industry is world- leading, and Labour will continue to support development and innovation in this sector and to ensure that it can continue to rely on a highly skilled workforce. We are committed to a procurement process that supports the British steel industry and defence manufacturing industry, which in turn provide good jobs throughout the supply chain. Labour will publish a Defence Industrial Strategy White Paper, including a National Shipbuilding Strategy to secure a long-term future for the industry, workers and UK defence.

We have a duty to properly reward and remunerate our Armed Forces. Under the Conservatives, our Armed Forces have been hit by rent rises, pay restraint, and changes to tax and benefits, putting real pressure on service personnel and their families. We will ensure they get the pay and living conditions that their service merits.

Dedicated service personnel are at the heart of our defence policy. Labour will immediately examine recruitment and retention policies in order to stem the exodus seen under the Conservatives. We will publish new strategic equality objectives to ensure our personnel reflect our diverse society.

We will drive up standards in Service Accommodation, and take action where private companies have failed to deliver. We will consult with service personnel, giving them greater autonomy over their housing choices, and review and improve the Forces Help to Buy scheme.

Personnel who are injured while serving should have prompt access to support and compensation. We will resist any Conservative proposals to abolish the right to seek legal redress against the MoD where compensation claims cannot be otherwise settled.

We are fully committed to supporting our veterans. We will promote greater awareness of the Armed Forces Covenant, seek greater consistency in its implementation by public authorities, and promote increased participation in the Corporate Covenant.

We will also roll out a Homes Fit for Heroes programme that will insulate the homes of disabled veterans for free.
The rest of the manifesto can be viewed here: http://www.labour.org.uk/index.php/manifesto2017

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

yes but is that according to Thornberry / Griffith or Corbyn?

FuNsTeR

Post by FuNsTeR »

Labour are trying to take us back to the 1970s and the Tories are trying to take us back to the 1870s, seriously both parties are trying to destroy Britain

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I choose 1870. ;)