French Armed Forces

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Re: French Armed Forces

Post by Lord Jim »

Are these replacing the Mirage 2000-9? They sere planning to upgrade the latter platform so have they changed their mind. I cannot see them replacing their F-16 Blk 60 Desert Falcons already.

xav

Post by xav »

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Great video enjoyed the explanation of the Main mast antenna.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Firmed up France has order 169 H160M helicopters for its armed forces

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

SW1 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 16:10 Firmed up France has order 169 H160M helicopters for its armed forces

160. Be nice if the UK ordered a decent amount of its future Helicopters, but cannot see that happening.

GarethDavies1
United Kingdom

Post by GarethDavies1 »

Bare minimum is always the UK approach!!!

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

What are they going to do with 169 light/medium choppers though ? Thats a huge amount. Are these replacing the NH90?

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Nh90's subtle replacement would be likely...

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

No it is not replacing nh90.

Once delivered, the Guépards will replace a cross-section of light and medium helicopters, including the Navy’s Aerospatiale Alouette IIIs and multirole AS 365 Dauphins and AS 565 Panthers, the Air Force’s AS 555 Fennec light attack helicopters and SA 330 Pumas, and the Army’s Puma transports and SA 341/342 Gazelles used in both light attack and reconnaissance roles.

The French Navy will use its new units for anti-ship missions, fleet protection, and at-sea rescue. Delivery of the first H160M to the service is expected in 2029. The Navy will ultimately receive 49 of these helicopters.

The French Air Force plans to utilize its helicopters for airspace protection, search-and-rescue, intelligence-gathering, and deep forays behind enemy positions. All of the Air Force H160Ms are to be capable of performing air-to-air refueling duties.

The French Army’s helicopters will be allocated for reconnaissance, fire support, medevac, and special forces infiltration duties. The French Army Guépard delivery timeline has been accelerated, with the original 2028 date brought forward by two years to 2026.

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

So the NH-90 is still replacing the Sea Lynx then?

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

xav

Post by xav »

French CSG Retasked With NATO Support Role
The French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle and its strike group are being retasked to support NATO following the invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces. The French CSG which is currently deployed in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea as part of the "CLEMENCEAU 22" mission is currently conducting a logistics stop in Cyprus. It will then be reassigned to assist NATO a French Navy (Marine Nationale) spokesman told Naval News.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... port-role/
These users liked the author xav for the post:
Lord Jim

wargame_insomniac
United Kingdom

Post by wargame_insomniac »

Thanks Xavier.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

so just over the last two day there has been a lot and mean a lot of activity in the air combat range above my farm with 2 v 2 and 4 v 2 ACM plus yesterday 3 A-400M at very low level in in combat spread

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Ah, good, confirmation from someone who knows what they are talking about. The Mail reported this two days ago - but, like so much of their stuff, not worth repeating without confirmation elsewhere - they didn't even seem to know whether they were SSBNs and mentioned nothing about the SAMP-T test. Is there anything in the public domain about what we are doing?
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Caribbean wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 11:55 Ah, good, confirmation from someone who knows what they are talking about. The Mail reported this two days ago - but, like so much of their stuff, not worth repeating without confirmation elsewhere - they didn't even seem to know whether they were SSBNs and mentioned nothing about the SAMP-T test. Is there anything in the public domain about what we are doing?
Not really cause the French won't confirm it and news sites don't report unconfirmed stuff.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

TSharpe28 wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 13:11 news sites don't report unconfirmed stuff.
Hmmmm - I'll just have to take that as your opinion ;)
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Didn't the French Navy at one time have a CASD of two boats and then scaled it back to one?

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Lord Jim wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 20:10 Didn't the French Navy at one time have a CASD of two boats and then scaled it back to one?
Yes - they used to have five SSBNs, with two at sea
Winston Churchill

TSharpe28
United Kingdom

Post by TSharpe28 »

Caribbean wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 14:57
TSharpe28 wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 13:11 news sites don't report unconfirmed stuff.
Hmmmm - I'll just have to take that as your opinion ;)
Hmm I'll take that your don't understand journalists.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

TSharpe28 wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 03:25 Hmm I'll take that your don't understand journalists.
I'll take it you don't read that many newspapers, then. Both the Mail and the Times reported the "unconfirmed" story of France (France is the same as the UK - it never confirms or denies anything to do with movements or deployments relating to it's nuclear forces) putting three SSBNs to sea on the 23rd.

From my reading of the British press, I would say that it varies according to the newspaper, with some only occasionally reporting speculative stuff and others (such as the Mail, which is why I discounted it as a hard fact until confirmed elsewhere - I hadn't read the Times story) being prone to reporting rather a lot of "unconfirmed" stories (though they have got a lot better in recent years at saying that the story is unconfirmed, they still print it).

It's far more likely that the UK has simply slapped whatever the modern equivalent of a "D" notice is (DSMA?), on all stories to do with movements of nuclear forces, rather than rely on the judgement and discretion of today's journalists. Never underestimate a reporters desire for a "scoop" and you can't go far wrong

Apologies if that is too cynical for you, but we don't have the same press in this country as we used to have only 30 or so years ago, where facts were more important than opinion and speculation.
Winston Churchill

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

I can see some members of the Government being deleted to be able to use "D" Notices in greater numbers. Has the legislation behind them kept up to speed with on line reporting?

xav

Post by xav »

Launch of the first of four new AOR for the French Navy

These users liked the author xav for the post:
serge750

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Satcom on the move