French Armed Forces

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: French Armed Forces

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Both potential deals v interesting as
- the UAE has a track record in purchasing mixed East/ West technology (e.g. BMP turrets for AMVs)
- the Alligator (AH) , if taken up by Egypt, could give Apache a run for "its money" when all the competitors made in the "West" seem to be inferior
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Syria War: France To Prepare For IS Air Strikes
President Francois Hollande has ordered preparations to begin for air strikes on Islamic State militants in Syria.

He said France would start reconnaissance flights on Tuesday with a view to launching attacks on the group.

Speaking at his bi-annual news conference in Paris, Mr Hollande ruled out sending troops on the ground.
Read More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34173983

xav

Post by xav »

French Navy Orders Four BSAH OPV from PIRIOU & DCNS Joint Company KERSHIP
The French Defence Procurement Agency (DGA) has selected the joint bid from PIRIOU and DCNS (KERSHIP) for the supply of four Offshore Patrol Vessels for the French Navy (Marine Nationale) BSAH program (Bâtiments de Soutien et d’Assistance Hauturiers or offshore support and assistance vessels). The contract includes associated maintenance as well. KERSHIP, a joint venture created by the two naval partners, will act as prime contractor for this program which includes two firm vessels and two optional.
BSAH will be able to accommodate divers, to carry weapons and ammunitions, to support submarines and surface ships, to tow underwater antennas, as well as to deploy a pollution control dam.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3070

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ahh, the French read TD... or have seen this:

http://www.vastavalo.fi/turva-vartioalu ... 95447.html
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

xav

Post by xav »

French Navy Creates a Seventh "Commando Marine" / Special Forces Unit Named "Ponchardier"
The French Ministry of Defence announced that defence minister Le Drian will lead the inauguration ceremony for the creation of a new "Commando Marine" (Navy Commando) unit on September 11 2015. According to the French Navy, this new special forces unit will be specialized in special operations support. In other words it will be some kind of "logistics" commando.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3078

xav

Post by xav »

French Navy Falcon 50M Maritime Surveillance Aircraft Deployed Beyond Arctic Circle
The French Navy announced that from August 26 to September 1st, a Dassault Falcon 50M Maritime Surveillance Aircraft belonging to Flottille 24F was deployed to Kangerlussuaq in western Greenland with a Royal Danish Air Force Bombardier Challenger CL-604. This deployement was a first for the French Navy naval aviation.
Finally, the Falcon 50M landed for the first time on the the United States Air Force's northernmost base in Thule in the north of Greenland, to refuel before returning to Kangerlussuaq.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3086

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

It seems to be official now; Egypt is buying the Russian Mistrals.

Translated: "@fhollande and President Sissi of Egypt agreed on the terms of the acquisition of two Mistral"

xav

Post by xav »

Crazy

Official: France Announce Egypt Will Acquire the 2 Mistral Class LHDs Originally Intended for Russia
The French presidency just announced that Egypt will acquire the two Mistral LHDs originally intended for Russia. "President of the French Republic met with the President Abdel Fattah Al Sissi. They agreed on the principle and terms of the purchase by Egypt of two Mistral class amphibious vessels" according to the official statement of the French presidency.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3114

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Is it a requirment that Egypt buys the Russian helicopters that were originally going to be part of the Russian forces deployed on the ships

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

seaspear wrote:Is it a requirment that Egypt buys the Russian helicopters that were originally going to be part of the Russian forces deployed on the ships
I seem to remember Egypt recently signing a deal to buy 50 Ka-52's.

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

And then Russia acquires them from Egypt? :|

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

I assume I'm being thick here, but I can't see what Egypt would want such a big an amphibious capability for.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Pseudo wrote:I assume I'm being thick here, but I can't see what Egypt would want such a big an amphibious capability for.
I would not be surprised if the French Government knew this 100%.

And you know what? I can't even blame them much either. They were pushed into an almost impossible position of losing money or credibility.

I forsee there being very public inquiries down the line someday though.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

Pseudo wrote:I assume I'm being thick here, but I can't see what Egypt would want such a big an amphibious capability for.
Three letters....K.S.A. :lol:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The Suez Canals are quite valuable assets and protecting them with a couple of Mistral's would be wise. ;)

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

Pseudo wrote:
seaspear wrote:Is it a requirment that Egypt buys the Russian helicopters that were originally going to be part of the Russian forces deployed on the ships
I seem to remember Egypt recently signing a deal to buy 50 Ka-52's.
That was reported, yes.

Tiny Toy

Post by Tiny Toy »

SKB wrote:The Suez Canals are quite valuable assets and protecting them with a couple of Mistral's would be wise. ;)
They're getting less valuable by the minute with the recession of the Arctic ice sheet ;)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:
Well, yes. Yemen more like it. Egypt and Saudi fought a proxy war there, on opposing sides. This time they might be on the same side... it is quite a long way from Egypt, though, so the Mistrals would be a nice backup. And guess who will finance them (three letters)? Russia will give a 100% suppliers credit for the helos. What will Egypt give? Trained manpower.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
~UNiOnJaCk~ wrote:
Well, yes. Yemen more like it. Egypt and Saudi fought a proxy war there, on opposing sides. This time they might be on the same side... it is quite a long way from Egypt, though, so the Mistrals would be a nice backup. And guess who will finance them (three letters)? Russia will give a 100% suppliers credit for the helos. What will Egypt give? Trained manpower.
I meant it more in the sense that they serve only to provide the appearance of a capability which in reality lacks all substance. Gucci binge spending in other words – right out of the KSA’s arms procurement textbook. Though if, as has been suggested, this has been encouraged by the KSA in support of their newfound regional puppet I am sure it will make the Kingdom feel better knowing that their serfs have these nice big ships on hand to help further their masters’ aims.

Won’t change the fact that, even for the KSA’s benefit, the acquisition of these ships represents more a shallow impression of capability than anything actually tangible. Obviously not enough room for such shiny new toys in their own inventories for new shiny toys so are now having to get their puppets to buy them on their behalf instead. Still, whatever helps them sleep at night I guess?

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Any consideration of actions in Libya ,the Egyptian army has had recent conflict there

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I would read more into it, like the two ships being one of the "modalities" referred to here:

"Arab defence and foreign ministers are to gather in Cairo to discuss the modalities of the force on August 27."
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/07/s ... 29377.html
- intent in July
- ways in August
- means in Sept (ok, not delivered yet)

Puts any Ways & Means Committees, as practised in the "West" to shame?

xav

Post by xav »

In English + a video

Successful M51 Ballistic Missile SLBM Test by French Defense Procurement Agency DGA
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3134

After Mistral Class LHD, V-22 to be Tested for Interoperability with French Navy Aircraft Carrier
On September 28, 2015, the French Navy Naval Aviation Practical Experimentation Center (centre d’expérimentations pratiques de l’aéronautique navale - CEPA) validated during a closing conference the interoperability between Mistral class LHDs and the Boeing V-22 Osprey tilt rotor aircraft. This conference embodies the result of two years of investigation and joint tests. The French Navy announced a similar campaign will be conducted with V-22 on board nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle.
With the CEPA green light, Mistral class LHDs have a new capability: Accomodation and operational mission support of V-22 aircraft.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3137

xav

Post by xav »

French Naval Delegation Visited US Navy Electromagnetic Railgun Facility
French military officials touring Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division (NSWCDD), received briefings on Navy technical programs from the electromagnetic railgun to the hypervelocity projectile, Sept. 4. The event, and recent British Navy visits, supports the Chief of Naval Operations' Sailing Directions to operate forward in new and flexible ways with access to strategic maritime crossroads.
http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.ph ... ew&id=3145