French Armed Forces

News and discussion threads on defence in other parts of the world.
SW1
United Kingdom

Re: French Armed Forces

Post by SW1 »

France looking at HIMARS

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Scimitar54 wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 21:04 I note that much like the CDG (R91), there is a paucity of Non “Operationally restrictive Spots”. I counted just 12! A wonderful design indeed ??? I don’t think. The design needs a third Deck-Edge “Lift” as well (Port side, Aft), if further operational restrictions are to be avoided. :thumbdown:
This.
Also, do you think that SCAF is a bit large for even a 70 000 t carrier like this?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

xav

Post by xav »

Discover the French Navy's New OPV for the Indo-Pacific

Presentation of the first POM (Patrouilleur Outre-Mer or Offshore Patrol Vessel - OPV - for the overseas territories), the "Auguste Bénébig", by its commander. This new French Navy (Marine Nationale) vessel will be based in Noumea, New Caledonia, in the Southern Pacific Ocean.

These users liked the author xav for the post (total 2):
wargame_insomniacZeno

mrclark303
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by mrclark303 »

SKB wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 03:00
So, has the new carrier actually been confirmed and ordered?

It's looks like a hugely expensive undertaking and I have no doubt it will be another lone Carrier, no chance the French defence budget could afford to build two.

Interesting that the models of the Franco German fighter appear to show it 'approximately' the same size as the Rafael.

inch

Post by inch »

Cracking looking carrier, would the RN have liked one of these over a 2 QE class ships ,not sure in heart of hearts what they would choose tbh ,yes 2 better than one and I quess more availability,and nuclear technicians to man and huge scrapping costs etc etc etc , but after saying all that will the RN look across the channel and think we should have done one of those?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

If look at the first enlarged pic and count along the line of Rafale's to No 8 which is opposite the first 5th gen jet on the left of the picture it looks to me that the 5th gen jet is a 3rd bigger than the Rafale

Also they could run CdG until 2045 which would make her 45 years old when we think USS Nimitz is 48 years old this year the French could have 2 carriers for 20 years and then replace CdG in 2045
These users liked the author Tempest414 for the post (total 2):
inchserge750

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

inch wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 10:46 Cracking looking carrier, would the RN have liked one of these over a 2 QE class ships ,not sure in heart of hearts what they would choose tbh ,yes 2 better than one and I quess more availability,and nuclear technicians to man and huge scrapping costs etc etc etc , but after saying all that will the RN look across the channel and think we should have done one of those?
I don't think so both ships will have a max strike wing of 36 5 gen jets and max wartime load out of 70 aircraft the QE's are very good ships there biggest problem is there lower AEW capability
These users liked the author Tempest414 for the post:
serge750

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Tempest414 wrote: 05 Feb 2023, 10:52 If look at the first enlarged pic and count along the line of Rafale's to No 8 which is opposite the first 5th gen jet on the left of the picture it looks to me that the 5th gen jet is a 3rd bigger than the Rafale

Also they could run CdG until 2045 which would make her 45 years old when we think USS Nimitz is 48 years old this year the French could have 2 carriers for 20 years and then replace CdG in 2045
Yes I also thought they may get PANG CVN operational then keep CdeG going with a few rafael for use when PANG needs down time until they budget for a 2nd carrier....will b great to see her in service, has any names been mentioned ?

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

OCCAR Signs Contract to Launch a Global Production of SAMP/T NG Systems
The development of SAMP/T NG system was launched in cooperation between France and Italy in March 2021. This system implements 2 new-generation radars able to track future threats at medium range (the Kronos Grand Mobile High Power of Leonardo for Italy and the Ground Fire 300 of Thales for France) and a modern engagement module resulting from a fruitful cooperation between THALES and MBDA Italy.
The British Army/RAF has no medium/long range AA/SR-BMD system, would i be correct in thinking the old Bloodhound aand Thunderbird were the last time UK had a semi-similar capability, Bloodhound retired in 1990, Thunderbird 1977. Ukraine showing up how necessary this type of defence system is, whether UK needs to spend the £billions for equivalent system open to question, was talk of MoD spending half a billion plus on Lockheed BMD radar and Command and Battle Management and Communications equipment last March, though no missiles were mentioned.

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/occar ... e-systems/
These users liked the author NickC for the post:
SW1

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

NickC wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 13:33
OCCAR Signs Contract to Launch a Global Production of SAMP/T NG Systems
The development of SAMP/T NG system was launched in cooperation between France and Italy in March 2021. This system implements 2 new-generation radars able to track future threats at medium range (the Kronos Grand Mobile High Power of Leonardo for Italy and the Ground Fire 300 of Thales for France) and a modern engagement module resulting from a fruitful cooperation between THALES and MBDA Italy.
The British Army/RAF has no medium/long range AA/SR-BMD system, would i be correct in thinking the old Bloodhound aand Thunderbird were the last time UK had a semi-similar capability, Bloodhound retired in 1990, Thunderbird 1977. Ukraine showing up how necessary this type of defence system is, whether UK needs to spend the £billions for equivalent system open to question, was talk of MoD spending half a billion plus on Lockheed BMD radar and Command and Battle Management and Communications equipment last March, though no missiles were mentioned.

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/occar ... e-systems/
Personally I do think we need to purchase a samp t long range air defence system or a much longer ranged Camm missile. I would have it in the RAF or a joint unit but I would like to see a 2 sqn force with each sqn consisting of 3 flights with 4 launcher vehicles in each. One for samp/t and one for the coming ground launched very long range hypersonic missile system. I would make sure it is connected into the strategic ISR force but I think it is probably unaffordable without cutting something else but we need to be more robust in defence.

inch

Post by inch »

Yes I totally agree with most on here ,UK should have more BMD systems ,tanks , submarines etc etc but we will never get these with PM and treasury leaders who absolutely know nothing about defence, never thought about defence in their lives ,it's a foreign subject to them ,they know about money and ways of making it or saving it ,and civil service who for 40 yrs are used to advising cutting, ,so shame we got a war on and we need upgrading fast but just like Cameron,are totally not interested in defence,
These users liked the author inch for the post:
serge750

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

inch wrote: 07 Feb 2023, 15:03 Yes I totally agree with most on here ,UK should have more BMD systems ,tanks , submarines etc etc but we will never get these with PM and treasury leaders who absolutely know nothing about defence, never thought about defence in their lives ,it's a foreign subject to them ,they know about money and ways of making it or saving it ,and civil service who for 40 yrs are used to advising cutting, ,so shame we got a war on and we need upgrading fast but just like Cameron,are totally not interested in defence,
To a point but the services have not helped themselves very poor capital allocation decisions by seniors in uniform and out since the end of the Cold War. We spend £48 billion pounds every year on defence it’s a vast sum an embarrassment of riches to many others.

It all come down to what do you wish to prioritise.

As and example Japans economy and population is twice the size of ours Germany a 1/3 larger, Americas population 5x and economy 8x. Ultimately we spend a comparable and indeed larger amount than most. If we’re are all spending around 2-2.5% of gdp then we will have the smallest budget in cash terms by definition. So a growing economy will grow the budget in cash terms we have stagnated since 2008.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Maybe the only nation we can realisticaly compare ourselves is france as they have a SSN & SSBN program as the seem to take up a lot of money....

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

This article from Warzone provides some simulation footage of the PA-NG in operation , I am not sure if it will carry helicopters with an anti submarine role
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/t ... -look-like
These users liked the author Zeno for the post:
serge750

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Its weather they get there the UK has great CGI videos of the QE's with 30+ jets operating off them just as a 1 for 1 on CdG's last quick run around the Med she carried 8 Rafale's

Zeno
Australia

Post by Zeno »

Perhaps its early but there seems some confusion over the tonnage of the carrier one article will state 75 thousand another 82 Tonnes
https://www.naval-technology.com/projec ... tion-pang/
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... transition
Its interesting that a V.L.S has been included for Aster
https://www.edrmagazine.eu/french-navy- ... n-detailed

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Nice looking ship, will be interesting what will be the final (affordable) outcome. Having only one means a part time capability though.

If the EU is serious about an EU defence force and strategic autonomy, then with funding from Germany, Italy and Spain they should be looking at a 2nd (probably with joint crew / assets, replacing any existing light carriers).
These users liked the author Repulse for the post (total 3):
R686TheLoneRangerserge750
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

TheLoneRanger
United Kingdom

Post by TheLoneRanger »

Repulse wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 09:46 Nice looking ship, will be interesting what will be the final (affordable) outcome. Having only one means a part time capability though.

If the EU is serious about an EU defence force and strategic autonomy, then with funding from Germany, Italy and Spain they should be looking at a 2nd (probably with joint crew / assets, replacing any existing light carriers).
Maybe the EU has already started to count British Assets as their own now ? I mean - how long before the UK surrenders to some EU defence treaty nonsense ?
These users liked the author TheLoneRanger for the post:
inch

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

The RN will never be integrated like the others. Our strategic aims will be aligned to the US for a while yet.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

The French could operate CdG until 2045/ 2050 giving them 2 carriers for 10 to 15 years before starting a second new carrier
These users liked the author Tempest414 for the post:
serge750

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Repulse wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 09:46 Nice looking ship, will be interesting what will be the final (affordable) outcome. Having only one means a part time capability though.

Then germany can buy some carrier versions of the next EU fighter jet for eu naval force.....

xav

Post by xav »

An exclusive tour aboard the French Navy's future supply vessel (BRF)

These users liked the author xav for the post:
bobp

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

xav wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 16:34 An exclusive tour aboard the French Navy's future supply vessel (BRF)

Quite impressive good to have for long deployments.

SW1
United Kingdom

Post by SW1 »

French defence budget at around 2% of there gdp. A big increase in the maintenance budget

https://www.defensenews.com/global/euro ... arliament/

A report issued Monday by the French Ministry of Defense detailed the following planned investments:
€5 billion for intelligence and counterintelligence efforts;

€13 billion for overseas capabilities and initiatives;

€5 billion for “drones,” to include unmanned systems and remotely operated munitions, as well as development on the Eurodrone medium-altitude, long-endurance UAV in development by Airbus for France, Spain, Germany.

€5 billion for surface-to-air defense capabilities;

€16 billion for munitions, including the modernization of long-range anti-ship missiles, as well as F321 heavy torpedoes and new surface-to-air and air-to-air interceptors (MBDA’s Aster-MICA and METEOR families, respectively);

€49 billion for maintenance and conditional operations, a 49% increase over the previous LPM;

€10 billion for innovative technology investments, to include directed energy technology, swarming drones, and robotic capabilities;

€6 billion for the space domain;

€4 billion for cyber defense.
These users liked the author SW1 for the post:
serge750