Introduction Thread

Site-related information.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Introduction Thread

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Welcome to the UK Defence Forum, guys. I hope you enjoy it here.

jedibeeftrix

Post by jedibeeftrix »

Civvy refugee from TD. Hi.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Afternoon.

Long time lurker on TD, MP net & Gabs blog. Just a Civie but long interest in the forces ever since spending summers with the Grand Parents up beside Kinloss.

Ironically enough I now live in Moray so love getting buzzed by the Typhoons & Tornadoes.

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

Morning all,

I've had a long time interest in all things military since I worked on the automotive parts of Challenger and various other military vehicles including FV432, M113, T-72 upgrades and LeClerc plus Rapier and marine/industrial diesels. Have come over from MP.net but I've contributed to many other forums including Warships1, WAFF (only very occasionally) and BBC/Daily Mail HYSs.

I also have my own website which I created to present publicly available information on the UK's armed forces (with summaries of US and allied forces) in a tabular format which is intended to make it quick and easy to reference.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Hello to all ,
I Just thought I'd introduce myself as a new member here , but I was once a active member on mp.net and defencetalk.com , I come from a military family so defence discussion around the dinner table (sometimes heated) was hard to avoid growing up , which sparked my interest in military matters specially the British armed forces .

General Ly Average
United Kingdom

Post by General Ly Average »

Hi everyone! I'm General Ly Average. I'm studying A Levels at Sixth Form College and hope to go on to study War Studies, Security/Security Studies or International Relations at University. I've read a few books and plan to find lots more, but I'm strictly an enthusiastic amateur. As for particular interests when it comes to Defence, no particular area, just want to learn more and discuss a subject that I'm interested in :D

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Welcome aboard, General. I hope you enjoy it here. :)

Artesh
Iran

Post by Artesh »

Hi there Guys ...

I`m Mohammad, 24 yo From Heart of IRI ...

I Served In ARMY Foriegn Affairs Office, for 48 month (18 months, as Enlisted, then as a translator) with the rank of Corporal, then Promoted to Staff Sergeant, for my outstanding effort in Helping Tourists in Military Museums, Translation of several books about Iran/Iraq war (Being Pulished in Sacred Defence Week) and finally for my presence in TEHRAN Internation Book fair in 2017.

i have recieved several gifts from Army Commanders and War Heroes ...

I have diploma in International Tour Leader and studying for master in Hotel management in TEHRAN University ...

also i`m a polygot and i can speak Farsi, English, Turkish, Arabic (A2 Level, Arabic is not very popular in Iran), Armenian, Hungarian and Romanian.

Currently, learning Russian, Croatian and Polish ...

i am realy intersted in War History ...

Finally, i will post about Iran/Iraq war ...

i hope to be a good member ad find lots of good friends here...

Regards.

S/Sgt Mohammad.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Artesh wrote:Finally, i will post about Iran/Iraq war ...
Welcome, and that is a much neglected topic, for understanding what happened next (and got us involved).

Must say that your country was a lovely place to visit (that was in 1976 :D ).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Artesh
Iran

Post by Artesh »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
1- Welcome,

2- and that is a much neglected topic, for understanding what happened next (and got us involved).

3- Must say that your country was a lovely place to visit (that was in 1976 ).
1- thank you ...

2- Yes ... you can read my posts ...

3- and i must say, yet it is ...

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

Hello,
Thanks for letting me join. I'm retired ex Royal Navy and Army and former defence Historian and Analyst with the MOD. Currently writing a book.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

New members might like to upload small images as account "avatars" to add distinctiveness, easy recognition and a little colour to the threads :)
How?
User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Avatar

Defiance
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Defiance »

Need to get round to that, trouble is I get fed up with whatever I pick!

Engineer currently in the industry - aviation in particular.

hammerfast
Iran

hi , from iran

Post by hammerfast »

hi

i'm 33 from iran . i realize most americans are hostile to people like me , so i decided to join this forum instead . thank you for your warm welcome in advance .

i also realize there's a community on the internet you can find in almost every defence forum you join , i'm a previous member of the pakistani defence forum but i was not well received there . also a past member of the iran defence forum from 2004 to 2008

my interests are russian tanks , t-64 and t-80 in specific . and putting the gas turbine engine on a tank. i also realize the British tested the gas turbine engine before the start of the second world war and the advent of the german jet.
Last edited by The Armchair Soldier on 28 Sep 2017, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post merged with the Introduction thread

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

hammerfast wrote:and putting the gas turbine engine on a tank.
Now we're talking. A couple of GT's in a hybrid electric arrangement will look spot on for the next generation.
@LandSharkUK

benny14
United Kingdom

Post by benny14 »

Hello people.

Beth
Site Admin
England

Post by Beth »

Hi there, I'm from North England. As my username suggests, I'm the girlfriend of The Armchair Soldier. Admittedly I'm not too informed on the general topics of discussion here, but decided to register ahead of our trip to HMS PWLS this weekend. I notice a couple of football fans on the forum which I suppose is a little more my area of expertise as I book hotels for football teams' away fixtures... But don't actually follow much of the sport :shh:
For any general site or moderation queries, please feel free to PM me.
Help keep UK Defence Forum online

MammaLiTurchi
Turkey

Post by MammaLiTurchi »

Hello everyone,

I'm from Turkey, and I am a mechanical engineer.

Highly interested in military gear and equipment, together with politics, war history, strategy etc.

I actively participate in inter/national defence forums for 7-8 years.

I wish good forums for all,

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

With the temperatures rising ;)
I thought it was timely for me to change
from the Armchair, to a more
relaxed owl in a Beach Chair
... still very civil; it's in the name!
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Beth
Site Admin
England

Post by Beth »

Beth wrote:Hi there, I'm from North England. As my username suggests, I'm the girlfriend of The Armchair Soldier. Admittedly I'm not too informed on the general topics of discussion here, but decided to register ahead of our trip to HMS PWLS this weekend. I notice a couple of football fans on the forum which I suppose is a little more my area of expertise as I book hotels for football teams' away fixtures... But don't actually follow much of the sport :shh:
Update - I'm now just Beth! "Miss Armchair Soldier" implied I had a clue... I don't! But I do know forums and am quite good with moderation hence me being here.
For any general site or moderation queries, please feel free to PM me.
Help keep UK Defence Forum online

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Not sure where to put this but is there any chance of the "Like" function being restored? I found it a great way of showing support for others as well as being supported, both of which have value.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Lord Jim wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 21:06 Not sure where to put this but is there any chance of the "Like" function being restored? I found it a great way of showing support for others as well as being supported, both of which have value.
viewtopic.php?p=135234#p135234

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I see "Has liked" and "Been liked", but I do not see an actual "Like" button anywhere?

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Same goes for me!

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Scimitar54 wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 22:28 Same goes for me!
SKB wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 10:58 I see "Has liked" and "Been liked", but I do not see an actual "Like" button anywhere?
It should me working now, my bad.
These users liked the author The Armchair Soldier for the post:
SKB