Army 2020 Refine

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
Gabriele
Italy

Re: Army 2020 Refine

Post by Gabriele »

Yeah. And it is not a surprise, since CAESAR and M777 are the two candidates in this. For the Strike Brigades, CAESAR is the favorite pick, but the RA might as well still get saddled with the less expensive towed piece.

I wouldn't pick one nor the other, since the BAE Archer is much better. But, again, expense. And the fact that, with VBCI probably out of the picture for MIV, France will want the UK to buy CAESAR or it'll most likely not pick Brimstone for the Tiger attack helo.
It won't be all about capability, unfortunately. In fact, capability could end up being dead last on the list.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Gabriele wrote:Yeah. And it is not a surprise, since CAESAR and M777 are the two candidates in this. For the Strike Brigades, CAESAR is the favorite pick, but the RA might as well still get saddled with the less expensive towed piece.

I wouldn't pick one nor the other, since the BAE Archer is much better. But, again, expense.
I appreciate that it's hard to pin down a unit price, but do you (or anyone else) have some rough ballpark numbers for cost, or at least relative (highest to lowest) costs for the 3 pieces discussed?

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1470.html

Lists all known contracts and gives an average price.

Caesar about $6-7m, Archer about $5, M777 about $1.7 but with wide variance.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

i think some of the mobility issues may come into play to like what can lift or drop one. A400m will be fine either way but C130J might have issues as might merlin and puma. with one of the options.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Spinflight wrote:http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product1470.html

Lists all known contracts and gives an average price.

Caesar about $6-7m, Archer about $5, M777 about $1.7 but with wide variance.
M777 is about 4-5 mil. USD per piece.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

Gabriele wrote:
You are right of course, much better to open fire when 10 km or more into the range of the opposition's artillery battery, and fire smaller and less lethal rounds, and without access to the vast variety of ER and special-payload ammunition available for the 155mm.
A real bargain if you are seeking the fastest way to lose an artillery clash.
Better 10km than the 20km you'd be talking about with a 120mm mortar.
Plus why should you design your field artillery around counter-battery work?
By the logic you propose, we should do away with 155mm as well, replacing all artillery with MLRS, firing the biggest missiles it can fit.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

abc123 wrote:M777 is about 4-5 mil. USD per piece.
Funny that when you can get a brand new K9 with a gun (155 mm) for the same.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:
abc123 wrote:M777 is about 4-5 mil. USD per piece.
Funny that when you can get a brand new K9 with a gun (155 mm) for the same.

Don't know about that, but the cost is about 4-5 mil. USD.

Personally, I would rather take something like CEASAR. A few millions more expencive ( 7-8 mil. USD per piece ) but mobile.

But, let's not fool ourselves up- they will not buy anything. :lol:

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

mr.fred wrote: Better 10km than the 20km you'd be talking about with a 120mm mortar.
Plus why should you design your field artillery around counter-battery work?
By the logic you propose, we should do away with 155mm as well, replacing all artillery with MLRS, firing the biggest missiles it can fit.
Boy, you brought counter-battery into the frame yourself with your previous comment. Are you taking the piss?
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

replace the 81mm mortar at Bn level with a 120mm if you are so determined to get them
replace the L118 with a 155mm that is mobile and easy to transport

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

those folks whose number here has increased recently, and who celebrate their Christmas on 7th January, have done a good job in changing the mood on the forum to antagonistic, rather than towards any festive spirits
... just saying
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

marktigger wrote:replace the 81mm mortar at Bn level with a 120mm if you are so determined to get them
replace the L118 with a 155mm that is mobile and easy to transport
Dnt think either is a good idea; whereas, at BG level (and up) it should be out of the question to operate w/o 155 mm (and/ or rocketry ) support
- that said, they can be attached at bde level (from which BGs are also formed)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

they could always form Infantry support bns like 2 or 3 TA inf bns were roled in the 80's with multiple support companies but with heavy mortars instead of the 81.

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

Gabriele wrote:
Boy, you brought counter-battery into the frame yourself with your previous comment. Are you taking the piss?
I was talking about the need to evade counter-battery fires, not conduct them ones self.

Try to keep a civil tone, there's a good chap.

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:those folks whose number here has increased recently, and who celebrate their Christmas on 7th January, have done a good job in changing the mood on the forum to antagonistic, rather than towards any festive spirits
... just saying
Russians, where?
I don't think Gabriele is a Russian and I can't work out who else you mean (other than me, obviously, and I just have bouts of inappropriate sarcasm)

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

Nowt wrong with inappropriate sarcasm! Especially when it appears someone has had their cornflakes pissed on.

Who is suggesting getting rid of the 105s? :o

Logistics and suppression are far more important than firepower, especially for light infantry.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I was reading, not that long ago, that the Uk was working on either a brand new 105 or a major upgrade. Saw some interesting drawings.

Did this get the chop?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

mr.fred wrote:Russians, where?*
I don't think Gabriele is a Russian
You are so right; just count to 1,2,3
- it is quite obvious how the different story lines are supporting each other, and guiding the topics
- so you can tally up (the three)

It is not my blog, I have no access to classified information... so, lets carry on , regardless (even up the Khyber)

* under every bed, of course! (Sorry, that was for the Reds)

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:those folks whose number here has increased recently, and who celebrate their Christmas on 7th January, have done a good job in changing the mood on the forum to antagonistic, rather than towards any festive spirits
... just saying

Two things:

a) my Christmas is tomorrow

b) Orthodox churches celebrate their Christmas also on 25th December, only some of them don't use Gregorian calendar

And yes, English isn't my native language so I appologize again because of my very bad English skills... ;) But I'm not a Russian. :lol:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

abc123 wrote:And yes, English isn't my native language so I appologize again because of my very bad English skills..
Your English is fine probably as good as mine is these days. So no need for apologies for that. But I agree with ACC about the lack of Xmas Spirit and the fact that some people seem to be antagonistic towards one another in their discussions.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Christmas?

Broke my arm playing sports, the wife is out of town, and the Niners are in last place and you ask me to get in the spirit? Bah humbug.

:-)

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ron5 wrote:Christmas?

Broke my arm playing sports, the wife is out of town, and the Niners are in last place and you ask me to get in the spirit? Bah humbug.

:-)
Ron, I feel for you; I will stick with you over the Xmas break (your typing hand still working?) and if you think of it,one of those things you listed is actually a bonus :idea:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Christmas is a good time to get together with your families, son is at Aldershot and Daughter is in London, so sadly I'm on my own. Will be going to Church as for me its all about Jesus.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Won't see my Family till January and am on nights till 29th

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Gabriele wrote:There will be guns in 3 RHA and 4 RA and STRIKE 155 is a funded programme, 3 RHA reaffirms. Apparently Jane's got it wrong at the briefing. There were, indeed, several things that did not sound right, as i had written. Some clashing announcements and stuff.

Updated with latest: http://ukarmedforcescommentary.blogspot ... -than.html

Also, some clarity about London Regiment transition and a little boost to the reserve tank regiment. Does not make up for the lost MBTs, but better than nothing at all...
Gabriele, could you please clarify, does the reserve tank regiment actually have it's own fully operational tanks (and if so, how many?), or are they trained to be able to step in replace regulars in the regular tank regiments? I'm trying to clarify what number of operational MBTs we will have, 108 or 108 + X reserve regiment units. Further, what happens to the tanks from the disbanded regiment, do they go into reserve, get converted to training units, or perhaps sold?