Is field upgrading/ converting of section level weapons ever going to be realistic?

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Is field upgrading/ converting of section level weapons ever going to be realistic?

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Sorry to break with the convention of going by country, but a broad sweep is required for this topic to get any feedback.

I will start the ball rolling:
http://www.berettadefensetechnologies.c ... ccessories
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Re: Is field upgrading/ converting of section level weapons ever going to be realistic?

Post by bobp »

Upgrading a piece of equipment goes on all the time. Usually the upgrades come in the form of MOD kits.

Not sure about converting. Converting implies changing the purpose of the equipment.

Looking at the link you provided looks like parts you can Customize a gun with. Customizing implies making the equipment pleasing to the operators purpose eg reducing weight so its easy to carry. Problem there is if everyone did it, you would be left with a pile of nonstandard parts.

I see a place for it in a Special Forces Role, eg sniper rifle. vehicles. But no where else.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Is field upgrading/ converting of section level weapons ever going to be realistic?

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Good distinctions in terminology.

I included converting in reference to the first of the three: changing between calibres with just three parts.
- the trade off between range/ impact perhaps does not go quite as far as changing the purpose
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Ok why would a soldier need to change the calibre of his gun in the heat of a battle. Perhaps as I believe happened in the early stages of the Afghan war when the Militants had nice Kalashnikovs which outranged our squad weapon. But as the war progressed we learned from this and employed other weapons to take them out. Are you suggesting each soldier carries three extra parts to convert his gun to a bigger calibre as required? This then would mean each soldier carried also two lots of ammunition. To me soldiers need to carry less in combat not more.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

bobp wrote:in the early stages of the Afghan war when the Militants had nice Kalashnikovs which outranged our squad weapon
I wasn't suggesting at all that the swap would happen in the heat of the battle - " field upgrading" was sort of pointing to a fielded bde " ( an armoury goes with it? don't know).
- turning an AR into something that can put hi-impact rounds out to 300m's
- or the same gun, without changing the calibre, (with its 600m "light touch" rounds) turning into a squad LMG;

-- this latter example making all he ammo carried "share-able"

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Being honest my knowledge of modern infantry weapons is very little, as I came out of the Forces in the early eighties. Back then I was qualified on the SLR and a 9mm Browning Pistol. I did quite well with the SLR and somehow qualified with a marksmans badge in the seventies. I remember firing a few rounds through a brick wall at one point. How the SLR matches against the SA80 I don't have a clue.

I can see a need for being able to deal with different threats, and that having the ability to deal with different situations comes with training. Looking at the recent photos that were published, I see the special forces have several weapons available in order to lay down a massive amount of firepower. Perhaps that's the way small teams armed with a multitude of weapons, operating from a protected vehicle.

Not sure this is making sense but as I said I'm not a expert my favourite subject is electronics.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

From a SIG press release

" the U.S. Army has selected the SIG SAUER Model P320 to replace the M9 service pistol currently in use since the mid-1980’s. Released in 2014, the P320 is a polymer striker-fired pistol that has proven itself in both the United States and worldwide markets. The P320 is the first modular pistol with interchangeable grip modules that can also be adjusted in frame size and caliber by the operator."

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I would imagine the grip modules would be determined as and when the pistol is issued to the individual. I cant see some one carrying a bag full of bits just in case he wanted to change his grip.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:by the operator.
bobp, fully agree, but by the operator would imply that it is easily done.

Now changing the caliber is interesting (different desired effects; still the same, issued gun... here the thinking starts to approach the AR world?).

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

I have a feeling that they will only buy the 9mm version. Although it has the ability to change calibers.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

From the linked article (comments to it); another H&K problem has been averted in design (H&K just changed the polymer):

"Robert Ford · Partner at Agave Art
So is it a polymer frame or stainless steel frame?
Like · Reply · 1 · 14 hrs
Jerry Plaster · Works at Retired
both.. poly modular inserts in a SS frame Full poly frames crack with 40 cal and sometimes with 9mmP+ hot loads with range time. Service weapons probably not but a known issue nevertheless"

Well , you dont do 20 hr gun fights in the Afghan summer heat every year, but just in case...

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

If you mean out in the field on patrol then I think the answer is a big no with the possible exception of a platform that can go from battle rifle to sniper in certain units. However in a FOB before setting out it could be feasible but is there really enough to be gained by doing so. I think have a good piece of kit that is reliable and does what it is supposed to do should be the aim of any small arm.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Although I like the concept (ref. the video of MDR posted in Section weapons), it has always been (in my head) that the weapons would be configured by the armour before leaving the UK, not when already deployed or even "in the field" by the operator.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

don't we convert at field level some weapons any way

Light role GPMG to SF role?

some nations go further lightened FN MAGS & Minimi with shorter barrels and collapsable buts but gunners can convert back to ordinary weapon with the but and conventional barrel.

Steyr AUG you can swop the barrels out

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

With the MAG, it is referred to as a General Purpose machine Gun because it is designed go from Light Role (bi-pod) to sustained fire (tri-pod) with no modification, though often the butt is removed. So it doesn't count as a conversion just doing what it says on the tin.

Yes other nations have changed item on there small arms whilst deployed overseas but usually only at Main Operating Bases and using manufacturer provided Modification Kits, but just as often the existing weapons are sent home having been replaced by new configuration ones being sent out.