Gamer Thread

For everything that doesn't fit elsewhere; literature, movies, video games - whatever you desire.
SKB
England

Re: Gamer Thread

Post by SKB »

PlayStation 4 gets retro PS2 style "Legacy" theme

(Truant Pixel LLC)
Created for Sony Interactive Entertainment. Available December 6 in US and EU for 2.99

We are pleased to bring you this theme, created with input from SIE US, Japan, and Naughty Dog.

After multiple prototypes over the last 2 years, each of which were designed to mimic functional aspects of the PS2 Dashboard, we have been given the opportunity to combine multiple disparate elements into a single piece of theme software which mimics the sights, sounds, and functionality of the Playstation 2 Dashboard.

Upon starting up, users are treated fully recreated 'boot' sequence. PlayStation 2 logo cannot be used due to licensing restrictions, so we have taken an opportunity to create a mid-boot 'Easter Egg,' which changes randomly with every login.

From there, the "Seven Stars" make an appearance, coalescing from random points to recreate the mathematical and dynamic formations to accompany the passage of time, similarly recreated from the original PlayStation 2 bios in the form of the Crystal Clock.

Color shifting is now controlled via user input, with subtle shifts in particle speed and behavior. Additionally, original audio has been taken from the PS2 hardware and recreated in the background ambience and custom keynotes for this theme.

Lastly, as is our standard, this theme has been designed for 1080p, 4k/UHD, and OLED displays.

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

I bought my first game in a long time yesterday: Ghost Recon Wildlands. I'm not one to enjoy tactical shooters usually, but I'm enjoying this one a lot. The gameplay is immersive and fun, with some pretty realistic graphics and sounds. The open-world environment is stunningly beautiful too and a fun to explore with all the vehicles that are on offer (and they all handle far better than reviews had had me expect). My only complaint so far is the game doesn't really explain the controls at the beginning. I botched a lot of my initial missions because of that. Otherwise, a great game and one that I can see myself putting a lot of hours into.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

did a bit of upgrading recently... went from a 39" HDTV with a XB1S to a Sony Bravia 55" 4K tv with a XB1X... :o :shock: :o :shock: Amazing difference in quality.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Sony introduce PlayStation Classic

(PlayStation Europe) 18th September 2018
Introducing PlayStation Classic, a miniaturised version of the original PS console which comes with 20 preloaded games, including Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3 and Wild Arms.

PlayStation Classic launches on 3rd December. Here’s everything you need to know: http://play.st/2MJTlGD
Hmm. PlayStation Classic - only 20 games, no actual CD drive and cannot play original CD games. And can't use the original PS controllers.
Luckily, I still have my original 22 year-old mint condition PlayStation from 1996. And its 22 year-old box. ;)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

PoW and QE in Roblox!

Daft, but I like it. :thumbup:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

World of Warships to get Royal Navy aircraft carriers!

(World Of Warships Official Channel) 28 February 2019

Tier IV: HMS Hermes (1941 era)
Tier VI: HMS Furious (1940 era)
Tier VIII: HMS Implacable (1944 era)
Tier X: Audacious Class (1951 era)

Official site: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/hist ... v-history/

Strangely, no Ark Royal...?!

mr.fred
United Kingdom

Post by mr.fred »

SKB wrote:

Strangely, no Ark Royal...?!
Premium?

SeeThirty
United States of America

Post by SeeThirty »

Love for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, and the Rainbow Six series in general.
Kerbal Space is also great. Love it.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Why Are E-Sports 'Taking Off' In The RAF?

(Forces TV) 16 September 2019
Do you fancy yourself as a bit of a gamer? Well, personnel at RAF Odiham would certainly give you a run for your money. The base has just opened its first station gaming room, kitted out with PCs and consoles all paid for by the RAF Central Fund. We were given a tour of the facilities as the popularity of Esports in the Royal Air Force begins to soar.

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

It's 1995, the best thing you've ever played before was maybe mario kart....

Then this lands. Like its from outer space (turn the volume to max):

Still one of the best game intros of all time.

As for the game, more of a sim than a game, each key on the keyboard had a primary function, a CTRL function and an ALT function - the satisfaction when you had it mastered...

"It's got a lock on me! IT'S GOT A LOCK ON-..."

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

XBox Series S has been revealed and priced at $299 USD, without any optical disc drive and has a release date of November 10.

It reminds me of my grandmother's 1970's-era doorbell chime box.... :mrgreen: