Commonwealth of Nations

For discussions on politics and current events.
SKB
England

Commonwealth of Nations

Post by SKB »

The Commonwealth of Nations is a voluntary association of 54 independent and equal sovereign states. The Commonwealth is home to 2.4 billion people and includes both advanced economies and developing countries. Thirty of the members are small states, many of which are island nations. The shared values and principles are inscribed in the Commonwealth Charter. Member countries are supported by a network of more than 80 intergovernmental, civil society, cultural and professional organisations. The last country to join (rejoin) the Commonwealth was The Maldives, on 1st February 2020.

The Commonwealth members are:

Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas (The), Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Brunei Darussalam, Botswana, Cameroon, Canada, Cyprus, Dominica. Fiji, Gambia (The), Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, India, Jamaica, Kenya, Kiribati, Lesotho, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives (The), Malta, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nauru, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Samoa, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and The Grenadines, eSwatini (Swaziland), Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, Uganda, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United Republic of Tanzania, Vanuatu, Zambia.

Monarchy under HM Queen Elizabeth II
Republics
Own monarchy

SKB
England

Re: Commonwealth of Nations

Post by SKB »

Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) 2018
HM The Queen, Theresa May and Prince Charles address the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London. Singer Emeli Sande began proceedings with a rendition of God Save the Queen.
Her Majesty The Queen delivers her speech during the formal opening of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting at Buckingham Palace.
On the final day of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, the 53 Commonwealth went on retreat to Windsor Castle, where they had roundtable meetings about shared concerns. Later, at the final press conference several key outcomes and declarations were revealed.
The United Kingdom's Prime Minister Theresa May highlighted the key outcomes at the final press conference of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, including the Commonwealth Blue Charter and Cybercrime Declaration. Theresa May also reveals that the Commonwealth has chosen HRH Prince Charles to succeed HM The Queen as the next Head of the Commonwealth.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

SKB wrote: Theresa May also reveals that the Commonwealth has chosen HRH Prince Charles to succeed HM The Queen as the next Head of the Commonwealth.
Well that would suit our PM as he's a staunch republican and knows the drums will beat faster to become a republic once the Queen passes, And Prince Charles supports it apparently.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/prince-char ... d=trending

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Interesting tibit of information on trying to draw the UK pivot to the Pacfic to counter Chinese soft power intensions,

https://thediplomat.com/2018/04/for-bal ... e-pacific/

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

R686 wrote: to counter Chinese soft power intensions
Talking about that topic, Zimbabwe Sept elections and the country potentially rejoining the Commonwealth will make for interesting times.
- esp. when there was at the time of Change of Guard in Zimbabwe speculation that the whole thing was initiated by China, so as to have someone more capable to look after their interest (than the then-President's wife).
https://www.wearethemighty.com/zimbabwe ... -influence
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

I can't comment on the truth of this except to say that politicians are not supposed to make public the private thoughts and discussions that they have had with members of the Royal Household.

Aside from that I would be sad to see Australia become a republic, the shared monarchy seems to be a living embodiment of commitment to the future and respect of the past. Nothing to do with ownership or Imperialism
R686 wrote:
Well that would suit our PM as he's a staunch republican and knows the drums will beat faster to become a republic once the Queen passes, And Prince Charles supports it apparently.

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

james k wrote:I can't comment on the truth of this except to say that politicians are not supposed to make public the private thoughts and discussions that they have had with members of the Royal Household.

Aside from that I would be sad to see Australia become a republic, the shared monarchy seems to be a living embodiment of commitment to the future and respect of the past. Nothing to do with ownership or Imperialism
R686 wrote:

I agree to a degree, we are talking about a politician who had aspirations on becoming 1st Australian President and they tend to throw anyone under the bus if it's to their advantage.

But it's the private thoughts that have influence marking their own possible agenda and the potencial outcomes working behind the scene.

But in this case I don't see what benefit it would be to Charles if Australia were to become a republic, and in saying that I don't see any benefit on us going down the republican route either irrespective who becomes King or Queen.

I have a personal dislike for Charles and would prefer if Willam or Harry became King. I believe if the institution is to survive the mantle should bypass Charles.

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

In all reality given his age and the longevity of women in the Royal Family even if he does become King, it will be a short reign. Personally I like him but to maintain the monarchy in all of the Commonwealth Realms I would not be sad if, because of his age, the crown passed to William.

I may be old fashioned but I cannot consider Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders as being foreign. OK they're not British and have no wish to be but they're in the same family as us. Sharing the same Head of State cements that bond, tipping it's head in respect to the past but underlining the continued commitment in each others future.

Just the way I see it.

I have a personal dislike for Charles and would prefer if Willam or Harry became King. I believe if the institution is to survive the mantle should bypass Charles.[/quote]

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The UK's MoD has removed the 5 year residency requirement for Commonwealth citizens to serve in the UK's military.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Image Image

The Maldives has rejoined today, and becomes the 54th member of the Commonwealth.
https://thecommonwealth.org/media/news/ ... lth-family

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Why Did Britain Refuse to Annex Malta?

(History Matters) 17th June 2020
In 1955 the Maltese government asked to be incorporated into the United Kingdom as its fifth constituent nation. As you'll be aware, that never happened and Britain refused to annex the Mediterranean island. But why? Well, find out by watching this short and simple animated documentary.