Containerised armament

Contains threads on Joint Service equipment of the past, present and future.
albedo
United Kingdom

Containerised armament

Post by albedo »

A question from a curious civilian:

ISO shipping containers can obviously be used to store/transport many things such as HADR supplies. But there seems to be an increasing potential for containers to provide additional armament to extend the fighting capability, especially of smaller vessels.

What I'm curious about is what range of additional armaments are available as a containerised option these days and how do they work? If it's eg some form of smaller missile then is it just the form factor of a container that's used, ie maybe the top/roof can be removed to allow missile firing in situ, or would it be mounted on some sort of trolley that has to be rolled out to allow firing. And presumably any such weapon container would have the necessary wiring for easy/quick connection to the ship's power/CMS?

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Re: Containerised armament

Post by shark bait »

Radars will easily fit in a container form factor, so will command and control centres, and the cold launcer for CAMM has a tiny footprint. Three containers would be enough to equip something with capable air defence system, and this is exactly what the Army do. Take a generator with and then it doesn't event need plugging in!

These images demonstrate the above;
  1. SAAB Giraffe radar used by the Army's CAMM system, maritime version also available.
  2. Rafael MICAD, used by the Army to control CAMM
  3. CAMM's tiny footprint
Would take a little work to apply this to the naval domain, but the development work is already done.

@LandSharkUK

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

It i not a shipping container but the stanflex system is a containerised plug and play system of sorts

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

If we went down the Arrowhead 140 route for the T-31e we would be buying into the Stanflex idea and might even be able to get a few to get us started on the cheap form surplus Danish stocks.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

madeupistan!
@LandSharkUK

swoop
Pitcairn Island

Post by swoop »

Klub-B system.
Turn your containership into a warship killer.

http://roe.ru/eng/catalog/naval-systems ... ns/klab-k/

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Now NATO has to track every Russian registered containership as well as those allied to her. I really hope this is something linked to April 1st. :thumbdown:

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Lord Jim wrote:Now NATO has to track every Russian registered containership as well as those allied to her. I really hope this is something linked to April 1st. :thumbdown:
The way things have been going recently, I think the Russians have already got a good bonus system going for tanker captains :twisted:
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

Moved to Joint since it's not strictly related to the Royal Navy.